Use Max MSP for note input for Sibelius

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
borisboris

Post by borisboris » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to use Max as note input for Sibelius, instead of an external MIDI keyboard. So far it does not work.

An external MIDI keyboard works
When I connect a MIDI keyboard to my computer, I open up Sibelius' Input Devices preferences. I click "Find New Input Devices", and I make sure the device is checked in the "Use" column. Then I select a place in my Sibelius score to insert notes, and start playing on the MIDI. All the notes appear as quarter notes (or the note-length I selected). This is all good.

"from Max 1" doesn't work
What I want to do, is try the same thing with Max as note generator, instead of me playing keys. I try the same procedure: start up Max, click "Find New Input Devices" in Sibelius, and make sure "from Max 1" is checked in the "Use" column. I can send MIDI notes from Max, but Sibelius doesn't write them down in my score. Why? What am I doing wrong? The notes do appear in the "Keyboard" panel of Sibelius, so it is receiving them. (Note-ons and note-offs.) If I click notes in the "Keyboard" panel, Sibelius does write down the notes. If I play my external MIDI keyboard, Sibelius also writes down the notes.

Somehow Sibelius seems to notice a difference between MIDI input from a keyboard or from Max.

I am curious about what you think might be the exact problem or a good solution here.

Thanks,

Boris

borisboris

Post by borisboris » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I have now solved the problem by using Max/MSP on another computer. I send the MIDI from Max on that computer via Wi-Fi to this computer. Now it does work ..

Now that I typed this, I thought: "There can't be a problem here." So I restarted Max (always the right thing to do if nothing is wrong) and now it works :-)

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for posting your work-around. Restarting and making sure all drivers are updated are always good things to do.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Sumerlove
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Sumerlove » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:14 am

This is very nice and awesome post
I like it very much
Thanks alot...
Sumer