electric string instrument as MIDI controller for Sibelius 7

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
tnob

Post by tnob » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Greetings all,

A digital, MIDI-enabled piano will play an empty single-instrument score left exactly the way it is (i.e. empty - meaning without any embellishments whatsoever) as if it were a real instrument, in real-time. Provided MIDI interface and ASIO4ALL have been correctly connected/installed, respectively, and Sibelius has been informed beforehand that it should play back Sibelius Sounds exclusively, this should work flawlessly (and latency-free!); in Sibelius 6 & 7 both.

I'd like my 3/4 electric guitar (adapted to 4 strings, CGDA) to be a MIDI controller, too, in order to play virtual musical instruments integrated with Sibelius 7. For rather a while now, I have been searching high and low for a guitar-to MIDI interface or a jack-to-USB MIDI cable enabling this - but without much result, really, so far.

Time to consult the wider community, methinks. Anyone out there holding useful advice/suggestions on this subject, perhaps...?

tnob

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm

There are loads of guitar to MIDI pickups/converters out there, if that's what you're looking for.

I googled 'MIDI guitar' and got loads of hits, unfortunately the forum's spam filter won't let me post the links!