Connecting old Yamaha keyboard with no MIDI output to PC?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi, I have this old Yamaha keyboard from my parents (circa 1998) but it has no MIDI output whatsoever.
I guess it does not have an USB output either.

I was wondering how could I connect it to my PC. I have a TASCAM 144mkii if that helps.

Also, if I could connect the keyboard to the PC it would something like with the Line in input, not the midi one of the TASCAM console. Is there a way Sibelius 7 could detect the keyboard if it was connected by Line In?
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:41 am

You would connect the line out from the Yamaha to the line in of the Tascam (using any adapters needed) then usb out from the Tascam to your computer. A long shot would be to try line out from the Yamaha to mic input of the computer. Either way I have no idea if Sibelius will recognize the Yamaha. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the Tascam.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:30 pm

If you're thinking of trying to use it to record notes into Sibelius, please forget it! You need MIDI or USB to do this.

You should be able to get a later keyboard with MIDI or USB for almost nothing. I usually sell my teaching keyboards for about £50 when I upgrade to a newer model. Look for the something like the PSR E-403, 413 or 423. You can find them easily on eBay.