Can't add GM file instruments to score?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
ranannon
Sibelius Version: First 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by ranannon » Sun May 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello! I recently bought Sibelius First 7 (after using Sibelius 7 at school, I wanted to have something I could use t home but Sibelius 7 itself was wayyy to expensive). Since I just installed it today I haven't used it much but it seems to be working fine. On the version they had at school, one of the available instruments was a music box, and I wanted to use this at home, but this doesn't appear in the list of instruments when I go to add instruments to the score. After poking around, I went into Program Files (x86) > Avid > Sibelius Sounds > Sibelius 7 First Sounds. In there were loads of folders named, Brass, Strings etc. and one called GM. Pretty much, they all contain .patch files of different sounds plus a sub-folder with .big files of the same sounds. Except for the GM folder, all the instruments in the other folders I can select to add to my score on Sibelius. In the GM folder, there are files for the music box as well as other instruments, some of which I could select to add to my score, and some which don't appear on the list. I tried just copying and pasting the music box files into the Pitched Precussion folder, but that didn't make a difference. So my question is, if the files are there, why don't they appear on Sibelius, and how do I get them to appear?

Sorry for the long-winded and probably unhelpful explanation and thank you in advance :)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon May 11, 2015 5:47 pm

This isn't how you do things!

Open your score and set the Playback Configuration to GM.

ranannon
Sibelius Version: First 7

Post by ranannon » Mon May 11, 2015 6:26 pm

The playback configuration was already set to GM (I tried switching it to Sibelius First 7 Sounds but this didn't work either). Thank you, though :)