Exporting MIDI from Sibelius to DAW

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:14 pm

I am new to MIDI...please be kind... :-)

I've got some orchestral pieces written in Sibelius, and while NotePerformer is OK, I really need to learn how to use a DAW properly. I downloaded Podium Free to try to learn, and I've got an on-and-off subscription to ComposerCloud for VSTs.

I'm trying to export my instruments one at a time into MIDI files to place in Podium. I figured that all the articulations and dynamics would carry over into the MIDI file, but they don't appear to be doing so -- all the notes sound the same regardless of articulations input into Sibelius. How can I properly export the MIDI messages I need to, say, play a staccato note?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:46 am

1) get a decent DAW - maybe Podium Free isn't importing things correctly
2) learn how to use the DAW's features and resources, maybe before you start importing MIDI files etc
3) consider doing ALL your editing, humanisation etc in the DAW rather than relying on the MIDI file. For example, no real musician would play all the staccato notes exactly the same length, or every mezzoforte note with the exact same dynamic.
4) It can happen that not all the exported commands are correct for the playback instrument in the DAW. CC11 and CC7 are sometimes incorrectly used and sometimes the playback instrument sets its own non-standard rules. Garritan uses CC1 for volume, for example. And when you get to more instrument-specific VSTi's, then all bets are off!
5) consider actually playing the parts, or at least the main melodic lines, into the DAW live. Better than any randomisation/humanisation feature!

ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for that! So I take it that exporting a MIDI file from Sibelius should normally incorporate articulation data if all is done correctly, right?

Your recommendation of a new DAW would certainly be best. I'm still saving up my pennies and trying to learn as I go, which is why I'm trying to make things work a piece at a time. :-S

I still need to learn what the MIDI messages actually are (i.e. CC11 and CC7) -- still beginning. I've definitely got to find a basic course on how to understand and input messages.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:14 am

As I understand it, Sibelius is not really accurately midi based. If you have v7 or above, try exporting as an xml. Import all at once into the DAW. Try a midi file also. One might work better. While there is nothing like a DAW, you might be surprised how much you can do within Sibelius that most folks don't bother with.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop