Export to audio - *clear* instructions please?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
ElderBaud
Sibelius Version: 2018.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by ElderBaud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I, too, have encountered the dreaded "You can't use this playback configuration for exporting audio because it does not contain any virtual instruments. Please choose a different playback configuration from above." error when trying to export from Sibelius 8 on Windows 10. Everything I read mentions Sibelius Sounds, but never have I found CLEAR, STEY-BY-STEP instructions on how to obtain them and get them configured into my Sibelius installation. Where can I find such CLEAR, STEY-BY-STEP instructions?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 pm

As a registered Sibelius user, you will have an AVID account, from where you can download the sounds - you have already paid for them! Log in, find out what downloads you're entitled (basically Sib 8 and Sib 7 Sounds) and start the download. Then wait, and wait and wait. It's a huge download at around 25+GB and takes a while, even on fast broadband connections. Once safely downloaded, install, following the instructions that come with it. I'd let Sibelius choose where to put the sound library, as there is some anecdotal evidence of issues if you place it in non-standard places! There is also a much smaller download of a Sounds Updater. Run this to update the sounds. (It may be that they've now incorporated it into the Sib Sounds download itself, I haven't tried it for ages)

Once installed, you'll be able to create a new Playback Configuration that uses Sibelius Sounds. Your scores, once switched to use the new configuration, should play back OK and you'll be able to export them as audio.

As an alternative, google 'Note Performer', which you can buy as a very good playback device and library. Again, buy, download, install and create a new Playback Configuration.

You might even like both playback libraries, and you can create a Playback Configuration that uses both, choosing which library Sibelius should use for which sounds!

As always, setting up things such as Playback Configurations is very clearly explained in the Reference.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 am

One of the many advantages that NotePerformer has over the Sibelius sounds is that they don't take forever to load every time you add an instrument to a score. Another is that the whole library is tiny by comparison. A third is that the way NP operates makes its playback much more musical sounding IMHO than the Sibelius sounds (for most kinds of music). If you can afford it, I'd definitely give it a go. I believe there is a demo version you can try.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk