Scanning problems

Discuss Photo Score issues here.
swervin

Post by swervin » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:47 pm

I have Photoscore Professional and Sibelius 3.1. I'm really new at this. I tried scanning in a 4-part hymn written in piano style (SA in treble clef, TB in bass clef, with lyrics between staves). All sorts of problems. First, only two of the four verses showed up. Second, Sibelius thinks it is two separate staves not one piano part, so there's no bracket around the two staves. Third, the bass clef shows as another treble clef. I changed the bottom clef to bass clef, but now most of the notes are in red because Sibelius still thinks it's a treble clef instrument of some kind that I'm writing in the bass clef. Fourth, on playback it only plays the top staff. Ideas, anyone?

Iaincd

Post by Iaincd » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:51 pm

One idea but not much help...

I have found Photoscore to be pretty poor at scanning. Get SharpEye Scanning software and it will be pretty much note perfect. You have to correct the occasional tuplet and some of the words, but it is far more accurate than Photoscore.

I have to concede I haven't tried the lastest incarnation of photoscore though.

The main drawback to SharpEye is that unless you have Sib 3 you will need to save as a midi file and then import which neccessitates checking all the clefs.

Iain

Peter Stutfield

Post by Peter Stutfield » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:20 pm

I agree that creating midi files is a pain, because most of the music formatting is lost on reading back into Sibelius.

In theory, Sibelius 2.1 should read NIFF files. I am currently trying out Sharpeye, and it is certainly better than Photoscore lite at scanning. However, when I create a NIFF file, Sibelius 2.1 invariably fails to read it with the message:-

"This file contains an unexpected problem which prevents it being
converted. Please consult the documentation for advice". In fact, there is no documentation except very brief online notes (the manual was written for 2.0). I have had to reduce a simple piano score to a single stave before Sibelius will read it! Has anybody any ideas about what Sibelius is objecting to? The score looks fine in Sharpeye. I have raised a problem with Sibelius, but so far have had no reply.

Peter.

pingu

Post by pingu » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:54 pm

im a noob, lol, but whats proxy?

im looking for someone to write a song! if you want to, (im willing to pay) then please email me on pingu2k4@hotmail.co.uk. thanks a lot! ill discuss the rest over MSN and/or Email.

stevethemusicman

Post by stevethemusicman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 am

Hi,

Although this is an old thread I figured since it helped me now I'd add to it. Yes, SharpEye Scanning software blows away PhotoScore. I was having a lot of problems with one piece that I scanned in using PhotoScore.

Went out and got SharpEye Scanning software ane Viola. It works flawlessly. Even when I make TIFF images with my Epson Scanning software and read it into PhotoScore, when I opened it up in Sibelius it was awful. However that same TIFF file (of course I used in both programs to save it in Music XML) and opened up the xml in Sibelius it was perfect.

Steve

angela88

Post by angela88 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks for sharing with us!

Watch Robin Hood 2010 Movie Online