Quick Forum Question (newbie)

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 am

Hi folks,

i have had Sibelius just over a year now but for the past few months i have been working on learning Cubase.

Last year i joined a Sibelius Forum site and i thought it was THIS one. But when i tried to log in it said i was not not registered, so i just signed up. But i am a bit confused here because has the old Sibelius site been closed down, or has this one just replaced it ?? The last time i logged on there was a massive uproar about the way Avid were handling things, and so maybe things have changed due to the fairly recent Avid takeover ??

Appreciate any help guys !!

Best,

Paul Seaman
Rhodes Stage & Suitcase / MiniMoog / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clav / Yamaha DX7 & DX21 / Nord Stage 88 / Roland Juno 6 & XV5050

Dell Inspiron, Win 7, 8GB RAM, 2.13gHz.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Win 8, 4GB RAM, 1.70gHz

Cubase Artist 8 / Sibelius 7

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 pm

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... ?groupid=3

This should tae you to the Sibelius help center.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks Bob,

Yes, that was the site i joined last year ta.

So is this Sibelius Forum site (SF) a totally different and unrelated site to the Sibelius site you provided in your link ?? Just seems strange that there are TWO sites dedicated to covering the same thing ??

Appreciate any help and advice.

Ta,

Paul

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:36 pm

This is the unofficial one. Once frequented perhaps by the non-registered 'owners' of the programme. :wink:

Not as busy as it used to be here, just a few regulars left. The official site carries on, and Avid don't seem at all concerned about the anti-Avid sentiments expressed there.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks Andy,

i was not even aware of this site until yesterday !!

i like the fact that there are different catagories on here (like the Beginners).

Yes, its quite ironic that most of the comments on the Avid site are Anti-Avid remarks !!

Ta,

Paul
Last edited by monsterjazzlicks on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19 pm

For a while, that was true. Things seem to have smoothed out a bit.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Bob,
bobp wrote:This should tae you to the Sibelius help center.
Has the link changed/expired please (five posts above [I do not seem to have permission yet to be able to post a 'link'])?

Ta,

Paul

andyg

Post by andyg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:10 pm

I don't think you can post links any more, period.

We're getting every quieter here, I think it's only bobp and me answering questions. Half the posts seem to be spam these days.

The official site is still as busy as ever. If that link doesn't work, just google 'Sibelius forum' and it should be the first one on the list.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Andy,

I will have a try of that then.

It is a shame that this forum does not attract more traffic.

Where abouts please do you EDIT your SIGNATURE on the Avid Site?

Best,

Paul

lucygp

Post by lucygp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:28 am

If that link doesn't work, just google

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Lucy,
lucygp wrote:If that link doesn't work, just google
You mean to locate EDIT SIGNATURE??

Paul

andyg

Post by andyg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:32 am

On the Avid site, click on 'Settings' just below where it says 'Current threads in Sibelius User Support......

This site was at one time seemed to be where you went if you had a cracked version of Sibelius. The Avid site was strictly for legit users, but the name 'Sibelius Forum' here did attract many new legit users too - until they learnt where they should really be. Even the guys from Sibelius looked in from time to time and gave good advice, sometimes even gently pointing out issues that were related to the cracks!

In recent times it's become a very quiet site. If you use the Avid site, you'll usually get an answer very fast. Here, it's only Bob and me answering as and when we're here, and to be honest, I probably won't be visiting that often in future. I have other sites to moderate and contribute to!

If Bob and I go, that will probably be it.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your very clear instructions. I found it straight away!

That will be a shame if this site closes down. I quite like the layout of it and it is not at all competitive like a lot of other forums can be.

I have not used my Sibelius very much last year because I have been concentrating mostly on re-learning FM Synthesis programing on a Yamaha DX7 synth I won on eBay in April. But I should get back into it in the New Year. I checked to see if there were any UPDATES but as far as I could see there has been nothing for a good 9 x months?

Best,

Paul

andyg

Post by andyg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Last update to v6 was v6.2, a long time ago now, but I still use it in preference to v7. I don't like the Ribbon in v7

V7's final uodate was 7.1.3 plus updates to the v7 sound library and a couple of patches. You must update to this if you're using v7.

V7.5 is an upgrade that has to be paid for, rather than an update. Its current update is 7.5.1. If you're on 7.5 you should update.

V8 will be around at some point, but all that trouble in the Ukraine may have delayed things, hence the release of 7.5 as a stopgap. But by then we may also see Steinberg's notation app, created by the London team that Avid fired to move to the Ukraine. That will add another big player to the usual duel between Sibelius and Finale.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Andy,

When I just opened my 'Sibelius 7' I clocked the version number as being 7.1.3. I remember installing some extra PERCUSSION type sounds during the download update.

I upgraded from 'Sibelius First' to 'Sibelius 7' about 18 x months ago.

Is it worthwhile/expensive to upgrade to V7.5?

Best,

Paul