how to make a cresc. from mp to mf in a note

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Zebro
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zebro » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm

the note gets louder from mezzo piano to mezzo forte
iv got it to look like one but doesnt sound like it

using ver. 7.5 on windows

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Can you post a screen shot of the notes in question? If you are using a hairpin (crescendo marking) it should work.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Soloint
Sibelius Version: 8.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Soloint » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi. This makes two of us with similar question. I'm using Sibelius 8.3 and I can't get playback to recognize hairpins. If Sibelius were an Apple product no one would be asking a beginners question like this!!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Just tried it - entered some semibreves Placed a start dynamic under the first, added hairpin, typed end dynamic under the last note. Dynamics on my test were entered with Ctrl-E, then Ctrl-p for the start, Ctr-E, then Ctrl-F for the end. Hairpin entered by typing H and then extending the hairpin with the space bar. You'll have to convert that to Mac, I use a Proper Computer. :)

It simply works as advertised. Of course, if you're not entering the dynamic markings correctly or you're using a sound library that doesn't support playback of dynamics then it won't work.

If Sibelius were an Apple product, a great percentage of its user base wouldn't be able to use it! :D

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Yes, you do have to enter the hairpin and dynamic markings correctly. You do have to read the manual. Some things are not intuitive. Dynamics are not a beginner question. How they are entered is only a problem if you are concerned with playback. Many people only use Sibelius for printing out parts.
As far as Sibelius goes, it doesn't make any difference whether you're on a Mac or PC.
I understand why Macs are such a closed system. But I have to disable so many "protections" to be able to use one that Macs hardly seem worth it :)
Bob Porter

Soloint

Post by Soloint » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:12 am

I think it is not only PROPER but an obligation NOT to engage in platform bashing (a tired battle that was won many years ago) so can we stay on topic please and also not engage in little personal promotional comments. Music publishing software is known the world over for still being kludgy compared to Excel, Word, Final Cut and a host of other fine cross platform packages produced by Apple, Microsoft and others. I am a Sibelius BEGINNER, so I am in the right place. My comments were to exhibit my frustration with this program, which IS proper. I think it's also only fair to the person who established this thread to continue to only discuss our similar question. I have spent much time with the manual. Soo. . . To save me some time (and possibly the original poster) can any Mac platform type point us to the page in either the user guide or tutorial that discusses the Macintosh execution of hairpins, sffz(s) and the like? I've gotten dynamics in a boolean sense to work ('cause that IS in the manual) but not in a gradational sense. Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:49 am

There are three people - yes THREE - who actually still care enough to spend some of their spare time answering questions on this totally unofficial forum. I don't much care for the tone of your last post. You were the one that started the digging with your comment about Sib not being up to the 'user friendly' standards of Apple apps. Hmmm. not sure about that, I've used them. It makes me wonder why I bother to come here to try to help the few people who ask questions.

PC vs Mac. My 'PC' comment was tongue in cheek, maybe you didn't see the smile? And my comment about the user base is a fact. If Apple bought Sibelius and made it Mac only (as they did with Logic) then a massive number of users would have to jump ship. Well, given Avid's performance with Sibelius, they probably will anyway. Personally, I've used both, but made an informed and experienced decision to use Windows PCs and laptops.

You are a beginner, yes. And I've given you the step by step procedure to enter dynamics and the reasons why it might not work. All of that information is in the Reference manual and there are, if you look for them and watch them carefully, plenty of instructional blogs and videos to help.

On a Mac, as you should already know, you substitute the Ctrl key with the Cmd key. That's covered in the Reference manual as well. Just grabbing the nearest book to my desk, the v6.2 manual, dynamics and hairpins are on pages 131 and 212. I found them by looking in the index, under D for Dynamics.

I usually teach the basics of Sibelius in an hour's lesson. If you can find someone local to you to do that, it would be money well spent!

As for being in the right place, you're really not. You might like to consider the official Sibelius Chat Pages. Google for them!

I will make no further comment - and may not even bother to come back at all.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Plus, some sounds work better with dynamics than others. Some ignore dynamics altogether. The default for most sounds is mf. If you want something different at the beginning, then you have to mark it. Distortion guitar ignores dynamics. Vocal sounds are tough to get to work. A hairpin on a single note may or may not work depending on the sound you are using. Sibelius is a notation program, period. The fact that it has decent playback is a plus. But playback is secondary. For playback, you need a DAW. Sibelius is not midi based like a DAW. Sure you can use some midi commands, but the primary purpose of Sibelius is to print out music.

I have experience with both Mac and PC, and have my own preference. And besides, out in the real world, many big international firms use Linux. It's free, open, and you can do what you want with it.
Bob Porter

Soloint

Post by Soloint » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I found a published but not manua-lized work around. See the thread "Gradational Dynamics for Whole Notes".

For those familiar with the contributions to this thread, laughter will make us all friends again. Watch -->

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... 30&iscqry=

Geez, I just copied and pasted. Are URLs really this long now? Try Googling "Signfield on Tone". It's on You Tube. That's how I originally re-found the clip. Enjoy!

Oddologist
Sibelius Version: 7.5

Post by Oddologist » Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 am

Hey! I just came across this post and I didn't realize Sibelius would do this. This is great and really helps me out.

I'm curious about MIDI export. Upon my initial trial, the MIDI exported with just the PP, mF, FF, or whatever dynamic mark as a velocity setting, with no crescendo or decrescendo between notes (No CC7 or CC11 info). is there a way to have Sibelius export that as well?

Also, I'd like to say thanks to Andy and the few others that are continually active here. I understand your frustration from some of the above comments and I hope you know that there are plenty of people that do appreciate your help!