Collapsing a 4-part choir

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Celestianpower

Post by Celestianpower » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Hello.

I'm new here, so I don't know whether this is in the right place; I hope it is!

Anyway, I have written a piece of music for 4-part SATB choir on four staves in Sibelius 3. However, for my organist to be able to play it, she needs it on 2 staves (just treble and bass clef). Is there an easy way of collapsing my 4 parts onto 2 staves, or will I have to just do it manually?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. Kind regards,
CP

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 pm

A simple way of doing this is through the "Arrange" function:

- Create the Organ instrument in the score
- Select the music you want to reduce to the organ system (In your case: select the four choir staves)
- Type Ctrl+C (to copy the material)
- Now select the first bar of the Organ system
- Go to Notes > Arrange (or type Ctrl+Shift+V
- Select "Keyboard reduction / up to tw voices per staff" and click OK
- Now, all music should be in spread over the Organ system.
- To delete any lyrics: select the Organ system from beginning til end, then type Alt+E and I L which filters the lyrics, then hit Delete

You will probably have to edit the organ part to make the appropriate changes between 2 voices and 1 voice per staff.

Hope this gets you on your way.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

Celestianpower

Post by Celestianpower » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks very much! It worked like a charm!

CP

pianoman723

Post by pianoman723 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:49 pm

For anyone else looking for help on this topic, I'd like to add another couple details. I just fought with this for an hour trying to make it work right.

1: Make sure that the instrument you're arranging into is a keyboard instrument. I kept trying to arrange a string section onto a 'String reduction' instrument, and it just refused to do it. When I deleted that instrument and created a piano instead, it worked fine. Just have to change the name and the sound.

2: Make sure you select both staves of the keyboard instrument, or you'll end up with everything on just one.

Cheers!

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:10 pm

makes sense, Pianoman.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

sibeliusforum
Sibelius Version: PC

Post by sibeliusforum » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi, I am a pianist and I have a different question regarding this. I need to read 4-part writing (unfortunately, there is no collapsed version...) and do you guys have any tips to read those quickly/efficiently? I need your help... :( Thanks.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:31 am

I'm not sure what you mean. What are you starting with and what do you hope to end with?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:32 pm

If you're simply asking how to read and play from open score, that takes a lot of time and practice.

If you're asking how to reduce open score to two stave piano, that's already been answered above. There may well be automated ways to reduce from open to short score. Never needed to look!

I'm surprised the forum let you choose that username, btw. Well, maybe not, as there is no Admin or Moderator presence here. If the forum were a busy place, you'd be letting yourself in for some interesting queries, I'm sure. As it is, this is pretty much a ghost site. Only three or four of us answering questions, if and when we know the answers!