Phrasing and measure placement

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
JoeViviano

Post by JoeViviano » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm writing drum parts to some music which is in four bar phrases. I think it would be easier for players to see the phrase structure if I could have exactly four bars to a line. Is there a way to easily do this? The first line currently shows five bars, so the adjustment would be minor. I could individually stretch out bars to take up space (which I've done), but is there an easier way? Can I select the last bar and select a menu item that would move it to the next line?

I guess I'm looking for a musical equivalent of a carriage return, plus a way to justify the music so that it expands evenly to fill up the page.

JoeViviano

Post by JoeViviano » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Nevermind . . . I just found System breaks in the user guide.

I feel pretty dang dumb now.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm

JoeViviano wrote:I feel pretty dang dumb now.
Don't feel dumb. Sibelius is a complex and sophisticated program and it takes everyone time to learn some of the features and shortcuts.

If you want a whole piece to be in four-bar phrases, look at Layout > Auto Layout, where you can tell Sibelius to insert a system break or even a page break according to the number of bars you choose. There are some other options as well which you may find useful some time.

JoeViviano

Post by JoeViviano » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks again. Auto Layout is quite useful.