STRINGS

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
DSW

Post by DSW » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi - Are there any tricks to getting an authentic sounding strings sound from the Sibelius stuff. For instance, is it better to use more or fewer voices in a chord? Are there any FX that can be applied? I know I'm using a score writer as a sequencer but... any ideas?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Without being rude...

You do know how to write for strings? I ask because I teach some people Music Tech and their string writing is not that good. Simple block chords, as if it were played on piano, etc But hey, for all I know you may be a great arranger! :D

Less is more for most of my string parts, but I only score them in Sib. I then PLAY them live into Cubase, where I have far greater (and easier) control over what the virtual strings are doing.

DSW

Post by DSW » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Andy - I'm used to arranging for jazz ensemble producing parts to be played (so in that case the quality of sib. sound isn't too important.) This present project, however, is a backing track for BLUESETTE over which I'll be playing my solo. I've attached the mp3 of Toots Thielemans playing it plus my attempt at copying the accompaniment in sib. I'm afraid I don't own Cubase so I'm stuck with what I can produce on sib. You'll see that i've used a lot of strings voices which, I now hear, is what I shouldn't do. Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

David Wright

I tried to attach the files but I'm not sure they've been accepted
If not please email me davidlinda82@hotmail.co.uk