Accidentals - 2 Annoyances

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
Scordatura

Post by Scordatura » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm encountering these two annoying matters concerning accidentals:

1) When using naturals for octaves and other widely spaced intervals - ie., instances where the signs can and should be vertically aligned - they are consistently drawn unaligned. One will be positioned slightly too close to its note, the other at some considerable distance before it. The fault is of course manually rectifiable (by dragging the signs, or by nudging (Shift +Alt + arrow keys), or via the Properties Window, but in music extensively featuring octaves (19th C. piano music above all), having to rectify each instance amounts to a costly expenditure of time. Oddly enough, the issue doesn't arise (or is acceptably insignificant) with sharps or flats.

2) In passages using cross-staff beaming, I'm finding that some essential accidentals refuse to display even when, prior to using the cross-staff beaming command(Shift +Ctrl + up/down arrow) every note of a bar has been entered with its accidental, regardless of redundancy. However, all the notes with missing accidentals play back at the desired pitch. I can detect no logical pattern as to which accidentals do or don't display on the transferred-to staff, and the issue doesn't appear to relate to the effect of a key signature. (The Reference mentions the possible inclusion of redundant accidentals in cross-staff beaming, but not the excluding of essential ones.) In such cases, I've had to resort to manually entering the missing accidentals using Symbols. one at a time, which is again time-consuming.

Any insights into either of these would be mightily welcome!

Scordatura

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 am

Unfortunately there's no ideal solution to either of these problems at the moment, but both are on our wish list for improving in a future version.

Scordatura

Post by Scordatura » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 am

Regarding the cross-staff accidentals problem, I've spent some further time on it and found a practical workaround. (I'm using Sib 6.1)

If Sib generates a faulty result on applying the cross-staff beaming command, select a passage from what you see, then click on the supplied plugin "Add Accidentals to All Notes". The effect of this allows you to ascertain, one by one, which accidentals are fully editable with the keypad (and so be added or cancelled in the usual manner), while any uneditable redundant accidentals remaining can simply be hidden (select these accidentals (not their noteheads!) with Ctrl, then key in Shift+Ctrl+H).

While this doesn't correct Sib's underlying shortcoming, it gives a correctly presented score that plays back exactly what you expect, and I guess it would do so in all situations.

pragya

Post by pragya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 am

hi

i am pragya joshi i am viewing your site it is very excellent site

he Sibelius Forum is a place on the web to find information, exchange ideas, and help others with Sibelius Music Engraving Software.
Accidental Remediation. those little hiccups on the way to saving ... appointment annoyances. I'm writing this post while I wait for my car ...

Original equipment manufacturer number
truck driving training