Sibelius disables other sounds

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
sargeantibbs

Post by sargeantibbs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi, thanks in advance for any help. When I run my copy of Sibelius 6, it disables all other sounds on my computer; i.e., when I try to play a .wav file Windows Media Player tells me it can't play the file, etc. The sound within Sibelius works fine.

This wouldn't really be a problem, except I've got a transcription gig at the moment, listening to someone's album and transcribing the music within Sibelius, and I need to listen to the MP3 files while I work in Sibelius.

Thoughts?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Sibelius is not doing anything. It's your soundcard/soundchip that's the problem, or to be exact, its drivers. They need to be multiclient - ie they'll let more than one app access the soundcard.

The only solutions are 1) more than one soundcard or 2) a good soundcard with multiclient drivers.

sargeantibbs

Post by sargeantibbs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:30 am

Thank you for the response Andy. It would help if you could explain a little more. What is the next step for me?

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 am

First, check to see if your soundcard has multiclient drivers available. If you have no soundcard but onboard sound, the answer's going to be no.
If not, then get and install a soundcard or external audio interface that has multiclient drivers. Plenty of info out there if you google for it. What you buy will depend on your computer, OS and how deep your pockets are!

sargeantibbs

Post by sargeantibbs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks for your patience--I Googled this for more info, but I'm still not sure I understand my own situation. One site (http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/ ... php?id=136) had this to say about finding what sound card you have installed:
There are a couple ways of doing this. The first way is to right click My Computer and click on Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Once in the Device Manager section, expand the link by Sound, Video & Game controllers. Here you should see the type of sound card you have installed in your machine.

The second way to find out what kind of sound card you have is to click on the Start button, then click on Run and once the Run box opens, type DXDIAG. Now click on the Sound tab up at the top and the name of your sound card will be displayed.
I followed those instructions and found that I have two "High Definition Audio Devices" installed, according to the Device Manager. I'm not sure what this means, and opening up the Properties didn't tell me very much. Here's a screenshot of what I'm looking at:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2906 ... shotbz.jpg

Here are my remaining questions about this:
*How can I tell whether I have a sound card already installed on my machine? and
*How can I tell whether this sound card is multiclient?

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 pm

That's an onboard sound chip. Nothing you can do with that.

Do some more homework to establish your exact needs and then add a suitable decent soundcard as described.

sargeantibbs

Post by sargeantibbs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

OK, thanks.

girlsgames

Post by girlsgames » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 am

Great, articles

Thanks

girls games, friv game, miniclips, y8 games