Fonts problem in OS X 10.7 (Lion) - Preview

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
AuditionPianist

Post by AuditionPianist » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello - this is my first post here, but am a constant visitor!

I am using Sib 6.2 on my PC, and use Nitro PDF as my PDF printer driver, for years without any issue. However, I created some PDFs which contain, beyond the normal Sib fonts, VT Corona and Garrison Sans. Although these open & display without issue on my PC (PDF-XChange & Adobe Reader), on the iPhone, on the iPad, and on Macs running Snow Leopard (and earlier), I encountered a problem within the Preview app on Macs running Lion. Whilst viewing these scores, the lines of text in these specific fonts (not the lyrics or system texts, which are in Times) fail to display properly; some of the characters in those fonts are there, but it is a mess. The oddity is that the PDFs open perfectly acceptably in Adobe Reader on these Macs. The further oddity is that I had the scores turned into PDFs by a colleague using Sib6.2 on his Mac (running Lion) and these PDFs DO read properly within the Preview app.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? There are streams of posts about an issue with Open Type Postscript fonts in Lion, but these display properly in Preview yet NOT in Adobe Reader - my problem is the other way around! Any advice would be so gratefully received. I could also enclose (if it helps) 2 PDFs of the same doc made on PC and on Mac running Lion, for comparison!

Many thanks.