fluctuations (skipping) during playback

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
pro4nosauras

Post by pro4nosauras » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi guys and gals,
I am currently using sibelius 6, and i have transcribed a 6 page piece, but when I play it back, I seem to get some sort of fluctuations. By fluctuations, I mean that when I play it, certain beats are shorter than others and it literally cuts miniscule sections out. This is really hard to explain :P For example, there is a long, simple c maj. arpeggio spanning 2 octaves, on either hand (piano). When it is played back, small parts are "rushed" and even the metronome, when clicking along, rushes and 1 click does not last as long as the others. This would happen every 3 or 4 bars and is extremely annoying. I tried playing my piece in school since they have sibelius 7 and it worked perfectly without any fluctuations, but as soon as i play it at home it doesn't want to play properly. I originally transcribed this piece on Sibelius Student because I have a copy of it but it is currently installed on a broken computer and I cant activate it, so I thought that that might be the reason, but sibelius 7 plays it fine. I'm not sure what the problem could be, maybe in my computer speed, but my notation is completely correct and I made sure of that before posting this :D Thank you very much.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 pm

It's your computer. Maybe just underpowered, or not enough RAM or a non ASIO soundcard. If your soundcard isn't ASIO capable, download and install ASIO4ALL. If you need more RAM, install some! If the computer is just underpowered, you know what you have to do!

pro4nosauras

Post by pro4nosauras » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Damn :D Thats annoying. How do I know if my soundcard is a non ASIO soundcard? Thanks for your reply!