protect your music

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
jasonfrost

Post by jasonfrost » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:51 pm

hey everybody

hey everybody

I recently did a series of piano loops for a video game, and received a cheque . I realized after the deal that I had not protected my songs with any copyright. A copyright is assumed when one makes a song. However without any legal documentation, the law can not protect you. So I looked into copyright laws and found it too overwhelming to figure out. I am a new Sibelius user, and have been using the tutorial videos at macprovideo.com to figure it out. They are excellent quality, and I recommend them highly. I was excited to see that last week they released a comprehensive tutorial on copyright laws and application. It goes through the right of the copyright holder, what types of copyright apply to to which parties, and even how and where to get your own "Prima Facie". That is the legal document that the court needs to back you up. I think this series, called Music Business 101 is a fantastic idea. If you are also looking to protect you music and make money of it, this video will help you through all the steps! The tutorial is called Copyright and Mechanical Royalties.