Sibelius 6.2 not opening properly (see attached screenshot)

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
usersibelius
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by usersibelius » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit, with Sibelius 6.2. It has been working well for me for years, but all of a sudden one day, when I opened up Sibelius, this happened, which rendered the programme useless (see attached photo). As you can see, there are words and menu icons missing! I've tried uninstalling the programme, but to no avail - this seems like a permanent serious problem. If anyone knows how I can get my Sibelius back to normal, I'll be extremely grateful! Thank you so much!
Attachments
Broken Sibelius.JPG
Broken Sibelius.JPG (72.97 KiB) Viewed 4621 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Try this.
Go to the Sibelius folder where Sibelius is installed. Usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Sibelius. Find the Sibelius exe file and double click it. If it works there is something wrong with your desktop icon, and you can replace it with the file in the Program Files (x86) folder. When it doesn't work, you'll need to go deeper. Uninstalling software leaves behind a surprising amount of files.
You will need to make hidden files visible and do a search for anything that says Sibelius and delete it, except your scores folder, which I would move off the computer. After that, a good registry cleaner should be able to get rid of registry entries.
Then you can reinstall. Have your registration info available. It would have been nice to be able to unregister this copy before deleting it.
Another possibility is that you downloaded or installed something that has interfered with Sibelius. Check it out. System Restore might help here.
Good luck.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

usersibelius
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by usersibelius » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:44 pm

bobp wrote:Try this.
Go to the Sibelius folder where Sibelius is installed. Usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Sibelius. Find the Sibelius exe file and double click it. If it works there is something wrong with your desktop icon, and you can replace it with the file in the Program Files (x86) folder. When it doesn't work, you'll need to go deeper. Uninstalling software leaves behind a surprising amount of files.
You will need to make hidden files visible and do a search for anything that says Sibelius and delete it, except your scores folder, which I would move off the computer. After that, a good registry cleaner should be able to get rid of registry entries.
Then you can reinstall. Have your registration info available. It would have been nice to be able to unregister this copy before deleting it.
Another possibility is that you downloaded or installed something that has interfered with Sibelius. Check it out. System Restore might help here.
Good luck.
Thanks so much for your advice - I've tried everything that you've suggested, but alas, nothing has changed. If there's any more advice you can offer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!