Versions of Composition - can they be made editable?

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
JMFallet
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by JMFallet » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:01 pm

I have done a lot of searching. I am working a piece THBWTB (first letters of each word in the title). THBWTB has been coming along nicely; then I made a serious mistake. OK, that is what all these "saving as a version" should come in. And, in fact, it did. I screwed up the current version (#5) and pulled up version #4. GREAT! All my screwups were gone.

I can no longer even find version #5, and I cannot edit version #4. What I would LOVE to do is simply edit version #4 and go on. I have done several searches. It is hard to put this problem into a searchable wording.

I am running 7.5 on Mac OS 10.11.4 (El Capitan), and until this little problem cropped up, everything was working fine.

Any ideas on either:

A) Find version #5 or preferably
B) Make version #4 editable?

Thanks,

JM Fallet

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:37 am

Assuming you have the full registered program, your versions in the Backup Scores folder should be editable like any other score. They certainly are on my Windows installation. Perhaps it's another problem with Mac/El Capitain version. In which case you should run this by the Official Sibelius Help desk on Avid.com (you need to register with them).
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

JMFallet

Post by JMFallet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks KJ, I will look. I do have a registered copy BTW - Avid is terrific about giving church music directors discounts and I do not pirate software. I work on original or arrange public domain pieces.
Last edited by JMFallet on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMFallet

Post by JMFallet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Does anyone know where the Mac OS keeps the backup files? I have a huge system with four external drives and lots of saved material. I have been using Sibelius long before AVID bought the software. I remember buying the first (only) version at a music store in Denver. I have had a copy of every version since (I guess I will buy version 8 soon). I will keeping searching, but if anyone knows for certain, I would be grateful for the information.

JM

JMFallet

Post by JMFallet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks again KJ! Success!

My problem was searching too narrowly to find the backups. For anyone who runs into this problem in the future, here is what I did:

• Opened my startup drive (not the desktop, double-click the startup drive icon)
    Open the folder "Users"
    Opened the folder with my name (no problem in my case because I am the only user - but some people have various users)
    Opened the Folder "Library"
    Searched in that folder for "Sibelius" and I found several hundred files. All of my sound patches were stored
    there along with backups
    Looked for my composition (the files are in alphabetical orders making that task easier)
    In my case, I found 11 copies of my composition, MTLBWTBver1.sib, etc
    I tried ver 11 first, and it was not editable.
    Then I tried a copy without a version number. VOILA! It came up, was current, and was editable

I lost at least a days worth of work doing various searches on my computer, on this forum, and on the internet. I also spent time plugging through the Sibelius Music User Manual.

It is cold and rainy this Saturday morning. My car is broken, so I have the day to practice my baritone and work on this composition.

Thanks again KJ for leading me on the right path.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:51 pm

That's great JM, glad you found the path. I think the Backup Scores folder is by default located under your default "Saving Scores" folder, or Auto Saving folder. These can be found under File > Preferences > Saving and Exporting.

Btw by 'full registered program' of course I wasn't suggesting you were using a pirated copy, rather that there are various versions of Sibelius out there that you might have been using - First, unregistered trial version, or even a deactivated full version that don't have the full feature set.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

XiaoGong
Sibelius Version: sdds

Post by XiaoGong » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 am

Maybe you need - CSGOSK offer Cheap CSGO Skins,CS GO keys,Combination Skins and CS GO Cases