Requesting copyist advice - multiple choirs

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
piperfection
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by piperfection » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 am

Composing for full orchestra and 3 choirs - SATB, mens (4 parts) and children (4 parts). Trying to make the score a bit less bulky. I'm fairly new to Sibelius 8. I know I can use 4 staves and "change instruments" when the music switches to men's or boy's choirs. So, as long as each choir is singing separately, those 4 staves suffice. However, there are times when all choirs are singing, and the men and boys are not always duplicating the SATB. Is suppose I could start out with 3 distinct brackets (12 staves) for the 3 choirs, and use the provision for Sibelius to not show empty staves. Or I guess there is a way I could just use the 4 staves, "change instruments" when a new choir starts, and then, when all choirs are singing, just add in new brackets at the point in the score. I haven't done anything like this before so looking for some guidance from a copyist as to what might be easiest from a conductor's point of view.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:49 pm

This is quite ambitious. Good luck to you.
Depending on how complicated vocal parts are, you might be able to put each choir on two lines. And combine orchestra parts. Personally, as a conductor, I dislike hiding staves, because lines are always in a different place on the page. But that may just be me.
Since there are no children vocal sounds, it's hard to say what change instruments will do. You may have to use several hidden instructions.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

piperfection
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by piperfection » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks very much Bob. What you said about staves moving up and down, especially in a large score, makes complete sense. I wouldn't like it either. I suspect I will have to make some compromises, but I will just keep what you said in mind and aim to make a conductor grumble about me as little as possible.