Sibelius 8 and tablet graphic

Use this forum for all hardware and technical related issues (i.e. sound cards, etc.).
ChiLLoUt
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by ChiLLoUt » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Hello. Does anyone have experience / knowledge about using Sibelius on a laptop with a pen?
I've been trying to answer my question on foreign websites for a few hours, but nowhere is there any answer that could be considered as certain.
Does Sibelius work only with Surface Pro? Can it work with any other touch-enabled laptop with an active pen? (I do not think it is more likely that the stylus must be the same or alternative as in Surface Pro).
I am not interested in exporting files to the tablet and vice versa. I am talking about a laptop that will be touch, leverage Sibelius and Daw programs with quite a burden.
I will not use the equipment only for Sibelius. I apologize for my English - my nationality is Poland.

The second idea is to connect a Wacom tablet with a laptop. Has anyone used it this way? How does it work, can you manually write notes using the annotate function?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:48 am

I've tried with several pen devices on my laptop and it has always been difficult to be accurate or it has been uncomfortabble to use. As to the Surface Pro, Sibelius, apparently is supposed to work well on that device, but I've never trtied it. I much prefer working on a large screen.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

ChiLLoUt
Sibelius Version: Ultimate

Post by ChiLLoUt » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:39 am

MikeLyons wrote:I've tried with several pen devices on my laptop and it has always been difficult to be accurate or it has been uncomfortabble to use. As to the Surface Pro, Sibelius, apparently is supposed to work well on that device, but I've never trtied it. I much prefer working on a large screen.

Did you used a graphic tablet, or a normal tablet with an active stylus, something like the Huawei MediaPad M5 Pro?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 am

I used a Wacom tablet. The tablet seemed to sense the pen before it made contact, with the result that note placing happened before I was ready and I found that very difficult to adjust to. There was no way I could calibrate it or alter the behaviour.

This particular tablet also allowed the use of fingers as well as pen, but that was even less accurate - maybe because I have tuba-player's fingers! :D
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 pm

I've been using a Wacom tablet for many, many years - for everything, not just Sibelius! Great for darting around a spreadsheet!

It works just fine. Mine's an oldie, a long discontinued Graphire 2 tablet, A6 surface size. It's meant to detect the pen position without touching the surface, of course, you have to get used to holding it just the right distance above and then either tap, slide or swipe - or use the mouse buttons on the pen itself.

I did get sent a few later tablets for review a few years ago, including a large one which was great for photo editing. However, I found that I'd set it to 'A6 maps to entire screen' for most apps including Sibelius, Wavelab and Cubase. So when I had the option of returning it or buying at cost price, it went back and I stuck with the Graphire.

So it can work very well with a bit of practice, and maybe organist sized fingers! :)

pikaqiu
Sibelius Version: 2021.12

Post by pikaqiu » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:57 am

it should have no problem I think.
Sibelius works well with my XP-Pen drawing pad.