SIBELIUS ISSUES LIST SINCE ITS INCEPTION (FEBRUARY 2022)

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
rogerjs
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by rogerjs » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:07 pm

Hi Sibelius,

I love Sibelius, I love the path it’s taken and the progress made in the last few years. Score work, linked parts, laying out parts, even playback, is getting really good and it’s a joy to work with. There are however a few issues that have been wrong for many years (since Sibelius’ inception or since that particular feature was created) and even though users have been telling Sibelius about these issues, Sibelius just doesn’t fix them. Some of these are plain wrong, no way around it. I’m on version 2021.12, the latest version today. Once a year I’ll post the list deleting the items that have been fixed and will also put a link to the previous years list posts.

Here’s today’s list:

• When MIDI is imported, time signature 4/4 is beamed 4+4, instead of 2+2+2+2. 6/4 is beamed as 6+6, instead of 2+2+2+2+2+2. If you enter 16th notes, they appear as two groups of 12 sixteenth notes beamed together. I understand there’s a split between musicians prefering 4/4 as 4+4 or 2+2+2+2, but could there be an option to set up your 4/4 default the way you prefer?

• Triplets imported in MIDI. If the first note of the triplet, or any tuplet, is a rest, Sibelius doesn’t understand it. If I have to import a cue that has lots of them I import it into Finale, export an XML and open the XML in Sibelius. That’s the only way to import triplets properly. Work has been done on it, but it’s still miles away from being fixed.

• Chord “1” should be in the chord library. Some musicians notate it as, ie, Aped, but others notate it as A1. It should be an option. I currently enter it as a technique and change the font, but when I filter the chords the 1 is not selected and it doesn’t move with the chord as it should.

• Slurs across staves. Doing piano or harp parts in Sibelius is not great because of that reason. The competitor has the upper hand on grand staff parts because it lets you attach slurs to notes across staves. If the slur is not attached to the notes, when you resize, move bars to the next system or one of the staves up or down, the slur stays floating in the air without being connected to the note it goes to or comes from.

• Accidentals cross staff. The notes that happen more than once in the staff they’ve been been crossed will show redundant accidentals, the only way to have them not show them is to manually hide them.

• Independent time signatures. This one I admit that maybe it’s already possible but after spending hours and hours couldn’t figure out how to do it.

• If you select a voice in a chord that is tied thru a number of bars and change the accidental (ie make it sharp or flat), the accidental appears in every bar when it should only appear at the first instance of the note.

• If you have your note input settings as “Pitch before duration”, if you enter a dotted chord and then apply ties the tie only appears on the lowest note of the chord.

• Treble clef with the 8 under it. The music should be moved one octave higher. For that to happen, the “instrument” needs to be changed. But changing the clef to treble clef with the 8 under it should have the same effect as changing it to an alto, tenor, bass, etc.

• Group names. We need the ability to put group names separate from staff names.

• When resizing staves the text aligned to the page edges shouldn’t change it’s location.

• Lines, such as trills or wavy lines going thru staves, when you have 3 or more staves of the continuous line you can’t change the third without changing the second. They should be able to be moved independently. Also you can’t do a continuation line text on the left.

Roger

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:10 pm

Please, please, please post this on the Avid Sibelius forum: https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

rogerjs
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by rogerjs » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:18 am

Done, thank you!