Move notes to another beat

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
jeroen griep

Post by jeroen griep » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:24 am

could it be able to move notes to another beat

suppose you have one note or agroup of notes or a phrase that you want to put forwards or backwards in time select and drag it too anotherstartpoint holding altkey or something, instead of having to delete it and put it again.

Also if you have a group of for instance 16th with rests inbetween and you want it to be 8th with less rests select the notes and make it 8th notes without also making the rests 8th rests

Thanks

broetker

Post by broetker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:33 pm

Easy - just use the copy and paste - works the same as shifting. Select the first note or rest in the passage you want to move and shift select the last, then alt click on the beat where you want to paste it. HTH.

jeroen griep wrote:could it be able to move notes to another beat

suppose you have one note or agroup of notes or a phrase that you want to put forwards or backwards in time select and drag it too anotherstartpoint holding altkey or something, instead of having to delete it and put it again.

Also if you have a group of for instance 16th with rests inbetween and you want it to be 8th with less rests select the notes and make it 8th notes without also making the rests 8th rests

Thanks

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, it seems the most basic rules of the way Sibelius "thinks" have not sunk in.

"Replace" a passage in time
- Select the passage (Click bar 01, then [Shift+Click] last bar)
- Go to the position where you want to place this passage
- [Alt+Click]
- Done!

Change rhythmic value of notes (not the rests)
- Select the passage (Click bar 01, then [Shift+Click] last bar)
- Go to Edit > Filter > Notes and Chords (now, only the notes are selected)
- On the Keypad, select the desired rhythmic value
- Done!

Let me know if this makes any sense to you.

Be Well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:27 am

jeroen griep wrote: a phrase that you want to put forwards or backwards in time
Learn to use middle-button copy or Alt-Click (or Mac equivalent). Then you just select the phrase and one click puts it where you want it - copies and paste in one action.

If you want to move something and have other things shuffle along to make room for it, it's a bit trickier. I usually insert a blank bar, copy all the bits where I want them, then copy back into place and delete the extra bar. But maybe that's not what you meant.

thesoundsmith

Post by thesoundsmith » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Guys, I'm doing all of these things (more or less). But it's still a PITA compared to the ability to just drag the selected notes and have the remaining objects move to the end of the selection (or bar.) Similar to Word's drag-and-drop.

Just because you CAN do something does not mean the method is optimal. Dragging notes really should be in the Sibelius pantheon, it is too useful and too common a need to blow off. IMHO.
Dasher

It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...