Neumes & clefs for Gregorian Chant

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
Eric Fletcher

Post by Eric Fletcher » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:10 am

in all their diversity: would be wonderful to have these included in the software - or is there a program which can be plugged in?

trazom

Post by trazom » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:39 am

Yes! and mensural notation

Helene

Post by Helene » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:29 pm

:D Amen to that. I think it would a shrewd R & D investment on the part of Sibelius, given the expansion of early music scholarship and performance editions etc. in the past decade or so.

Also, the abilty to rotate symbols 360 degrees as well as the capacity to generate circular scores..... (deep sigh) maybe that's asking for too much :wink:

I think a dedicated early music edition of Sib. must be on the cards at some point. Us early music geeks are growing at an alarming rate!! :) It would be just toooo cruel to leave us scavenging the net for suitable fonts like pigs searching for truffles.

Dr.Childe

Post by Dr.Childe » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:58 pm

The dream of neumes / Gregorian / mensural notations has existed for so long now I'm almost convinced we'll never see it!

I wonder if a concerted effort by a few people to develop symbols or importable graphics appropriate to the cause would be a start? At least in my experience, it's not necessarily play-back functionality we're looking for, but accurate printed representation. Would be a pain in the A$$ to deal with all the spacing problems they would probably cause, but it might get the job started - if not done.

I'm afraid the more seriously I work on transcriptions of early music the more often I find myself looking at other applications (Finale w/ Medieval and Lilypond for example).

Who can we bribe to develop a plug-in??? :?

Alan Shore

Post by Alan Shore » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 am

I suppose it's too much to hope that any progress has been made here?

Does anyone know of any other engravers that have a facility for neumes, or any stand-alone neume engravers?
Turbot is ambitious brill.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:23 pm

There are references on the official Sibelius web site to those aspects of early music which can be notation in Sibelius, and references to other programs for those things that can't currently be done by Sibelus.

You can get to the Sibelius Chat page (www.sibelius.com/helpcenter) even if you are not the registered owner of Sibelius (e.g. if you use your school or college computer) and sign in as a Guest. Search the Chat Page or Search Articles and you'll find some useful links.

As for symbols - you can rotate them, but not in the sense you mean. You can specifiy a font to be shown at 47 degrees, for instance, but you'd need a different definition for each angle!

Not much use for circular scores, but, as an elderly curmudgeon I take the view that if you do circular scores you can *&%*$-well sweat it out in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator (both of which will do what you want) or do it by hand. I'm afraid I tend to think that mostly the value of such scores is in their graphics appeal, and hand-drawn circular, triangular or free-form scores can be very attractive (as wallpaper).

Ooooo! hark at him!

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:51 pm

Here's a site I came across - it might be of interest to some people:

http://myke.trecento.com/fonts/

(14th 15th cent font)