Cautionary naturals on Key signatures

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
xavierpages

Post by xavierpages » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi,
I find very strange that, when "cautionary option" in Key Signature Engraving Rules is checked, Sibelius adds cautionary naturals before the new key signature... I always have seen the naturals in the place which would correspond if they would have been part of the key signature as sharp or flat (that is after it). I would like to ask to have the option to put them before or after the other accidentals, when needed.
Thank you very much!
Xavier.

xavierpages

Post by xavierpages » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Thank you for answering!
The option that you say is "cautionary accidentals" under "accidentals and dots". The one I mean, is "cautionary naturals" under "clefs and key signatures". This second one makes appear naturals before the new key signature to cancel de previous accidentals. I don't want to hide any cautionary key signature... just make appear the cautionary naturals in the new key signature after the key signature and not after. Please, see the attached image. The C natural, in my opinion, shoud appear after the F sharp and not before...
Thanks again,
Xavier.
Attachments
sample2.tif
sample2.tif (1.1 KiB) Viewed 16621 times

scarfinv
Sibelius Version: 7

Post by scarfinv » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm running Sibelius 7... and 8 years after this post, I too am frustrated that the cautionary natural comes before the key signature. Is there a version of Sibelius where this has been fixed?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Current engraving practice is that the naturals should appear before the new key signature, and Sibelius does this.

Gould's "Behind Bars", page 92 says: "When a sharp or flat key leads to a key with fewer sharps or flats, the accidentals of the previous key signature are cancelled before the new key signature." It then goes on to state that some older editions ( including 19th century French editions) do place the naturals are placed after the new key signature.

Whilst it could be argued that there should be the option to do things either way, there's nothing to 'fix' as such. If you want the appearance of the older editions, I think you'll just have to fake it with symbols.

Remember that 1) this is an unofficial forum and nobody from Avid reads it and 2) The 'wish list' of things to be fixed in Sibelius is long and Avid seem to have no interest in fixing them, just adding more largely unwanted features.