Part Extraction For Staves With More Than One Part

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.
MatthewNellComposer
Sibelius Version: 2021.9
Operating System: Mac

Post by MatthewNellComposer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:46 pm

Sibelius has been around for a while. Dynamic parts are impressive, but it's annoying that I still have to make a completely new file just to make separate parts for Flutes I and II, Horns I/II & III/IV, etc. just because they're on the same staves in the score. When will the devs get around to that? I always feel like the features added in new updates are irrelevant to general workflow and don't solve common issues that users face in the program.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:00 am

If you want to whine about this, go to somewhere where Avid staffers occasionally turn up - https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3. You will absolutely not be alone. We've all done it. However, in view of the fact that they are more concerned with getting sibelius to run on toy computers and have failed entirely to give PC and Mac uses any decent updates for the last 12 months don't hold your breath waiting.

How to solve your issue:
1. You will need to create two separate parts in the score (which will be hidden using focus on staves or by hiding the notes in the score and showing them in the parts.)
2. If you have been consistent in your use of div/unis/a1,a2/ voices etc the next step will be easy. if you haven't, then it wil be trickier.
3. Assuming you have been consistent, copy the music onto both new staves then, a section at a time, delete the music you don't need in each part. Consistent use of voices is your friend at this point.
4. You could try using explode to split the music automatically, but I have found it to be inconsistent and occasionally stupid.
5. Hide the extra staves in the score, delete the flute 1/2 parts using Parts-->delete parts to avoid accidentally printing them out.
6. Make sure you have numbered the new parts in the score (even though they're hidden) to be Flute 1 and Flute 2. I've forgotten to do this in the past and it causes no end of issues.

Alternatively - get Dorico.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

MatthewNellComposer
Sibelius Version: 2021.9
Operating System: Mac

Post by MatthewNellComposer » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:49 pm

MikeLyons wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:00 am
If you want to whine about this, go to somewhere where Avid staffers occasionally turn up - https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3. You will absolutely not be alone. We've all done it. However, in view of the fact that they are more concerned with getting sibelius to run on toy computers and have failed entirely to give PC and Mac uses any decent updates for the last 12 months don't hold your breath waiting.

How to solve your issue:
1. You will need to create two separate parts in the score (which will be hidden using focus on staves or by hiding the notes in the score and showing them in the parts.)
2. If you have been consistent in your use of div/unis/a1,a2/ voices etc the next step will be easy. if you haven't, then it wil be trickier.
3. Assuming you have been consistent, copy the music onto both new staves then, a section at a time, delete the music you don't need in each part. Consistent use of voices is your friend at this point.
4. You could try using explode to split the music automatically, but I have found it to be inconsistent and occasionally stupid.
5. Hide the extra staves in the score, delete the flute 1/2 parts using Parts-->delete parts to avoid accidentally printing them out.
6. Make sure you have numbered the new parts in the score (even though they're hidden) to be Flute 1 and Flute 2. I've forgotten to do this in the past and it causes no end of issues.

Alternatively - get Dorico.
Thanks for the advice. So Dorico is more intelligent for handling these situations?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Yes. It has been a recently added feature that I was hoping would be added to Sibelius. It still has a few kinks, as a visit to the Dorico websites wil show, but it is there.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk