different time signatures (simultaneously...)

Place your wishlist here. Maybe the Sibelius developers will honor your requests.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:12 am

Imagine you want to copy Strawinsky's Soldier's Tale. Impossible.You cannot make Sibelius write 2/4 in one instrument and 3/4 in another (but you can use different tonalities in each instrument).

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:You cannot make Sibelius write 2/4 in one instrument and 3/4 in another
It's not all that difficult, in most cases, to have different time signatures. But like many things in Sibelius, it's not direct and not well enough documented (though there are instructions in the User Guide).

Helene

Post by Helene » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi there, it's really quite straighforward to generate multiple time signatures, though you do have to plan ahead. Use multiples of the largest time signature, which is also a multiple of the smallest one too: for example, create 1 bar of 6/4, an then apportion this larger bar into two bars of 3/4 in one part and three bars of 2/4 in another. In effect you create a macro bar and then insert your barlines as lines and time signatures as text.

You can also have multiple tempi running simultaneously by using the tuplet function and some basic maths. Once you have worked out your proportions simply hide the tuplet bracket and insert the appropriate metronome mark.

Hope this helps.

ewan campbell

Post by ewan campbell » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 am

You can also have multiple tempi running simultaneously by using the tuplet function and some basic maths.
This works all very well for 'basic' dual signatures but what about for more complex ones. I am trying to input four different signatures at the same time, each with a different metronomic speed.

I have:
13/4 in crotchet=130
11/4 in crotchet=110
7/4 in crotchet=70
5/4 in crotchet=50

These line up very neatly every bar (which happens every 6 seconds), but are completely independant between bars. So it is carefully worked out mathematically yet completely impractical on Sib, as far as I can make out. Any suggestions?

Of course the suggestion that I am erring more towards is to simply not have quite such incompatible time signatures. But their incompatibility is the point.

If it were possible to separate the different staves in terms of metronomic speed, and yet still plot all of the staves of the score against a time graph then this problem would be easily solved and all different speeds/time signatures would be possible (not to mention still performable by playback). All that really is required is to add a function for creating new staves, whereby when creating the stave you define its metronome speed. Then this can be plotted relative to the metronome speed that is already present in the other staves.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:01 pm

ewan campbell wrote:. . .These line up very neatly every bar . . . . yet completely impractical on Sib, as far as I can make out. Any suggestions?
Read the second paragraph of Helene's post again. It really is possible, given a bit of patience, some maths and hidden tuplets.

That doesn't mean that Sibelius couldn't in some future realease make it a bit easier and more direct to do this.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:32 pm

This took me a few minutes but it does what you want and it plays correctly in Sibelius.

http://www.savefile.com/files/213487