how do I change instruments on a staff?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
nontempestuous03

Post by nontempestuous03 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:56 pm

I'm making a medly of songs, and that requires me to change instruments frequently but keep the same staves. If i start out with say a woodwind, then in measure 40 i want that staff to become a drum, how would i do that? I know it's possible, but I can't figure it out. Please help me! Thank you.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:53 pm

nontempestuous03 wrote: If i start out with say a woodwind, then in measure 40 i want that staff to become a drum, how would i do that? I know it's possible,.
If you want to use GM for playback you can't easily change from woodwind to drum - usually percussion is on Chanel 10 and other instruments don't use Channel 10. There are some tuned drums you could use but not the full range. The way to change is to put some text ("DRUM") above the stave and then use ~P + the patch number you want.

E.g. if strings is patch 48 and trumpet is patch 56 then you could put "STRINGS~P48" to change to strings and "TPT~P56" for trumpet. The bit after the ~ is hidden by the program so you won't see it unless you have View>Hidden Objects ticked..