Drum Open and Closed Hi Hat

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
reesy

Post by reesy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:29 pm

I've been trying to get the Hi Hat to open on my Sibelius at school but I can't figure it out. We are using Sibelius 4. I've opened Bebob the peace that comes with Sibelius and in there there is a part when they hi hat opens and closes but when i copy this over to my peace it doesn't play it opened :S I've also tried going into Symbols and selecting the 0 sign but it doesn't open it. If any one could tell me how to open it I would be grateful.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 am

Hi there,

sit back and enjoy the ride 'cause this is gonna be a biggie ... in fact, no, pay full attention and read this answer with Sib4 open, so you can follow my line of thinking :)

There goes .....

- Have the song in question open (Bebop - Clinology)
- Let's just focus on the two last HH's in bar 2 (2nd bar after the first double barline)
- You are correct when you say that one is "Open" and the last one is "Closed".
- Also, there is no obvious difference between the used notation etc of these notes ..... or is there??? (insert creepy music here!)
- Let's examine these two HH notes closer and check out their properties ... so, open the Properties Window (Ctrl+Alt+P) and open the Notes Tab.
- If you click on the last HH (the 8th note), you'll notice in the NOtes Tab that Notehead#1 was used. Clicking on the HH before that (on the third beat) you'll see that Notehead#5 was used!!!

AHA!!!!! (would be the proper exclamation at this point)

- So, it seems that different Noteheads result in different sounds. In othrer words, maybe ... just maybe there is a way to assign sounds to different noteheads, different positions of notes on the staff, etc... . You know what? There is a way to do that!!!!

It all boils down to the way you edited the staff type, in this case, the "Drum Set" staff type. So, let's check out how to do this:

- Go to House Style > Edit Staff Types > Percussion
- Here, select the 5 lines (drumset) (which is the one used in this score) and click on Edit...
- A tabbed window appears called Staff Type with the Percussion Tab opened.
- Click in all the notes on the staff and see how their parameters (notehead, position, Input Pitch, Sound) change.
- Obviously, this is the place to be.
- On the left hand side of the staff, there is a cluster of notes on the top line and you can just barely make out a crossed notehead on the g-position. Click on that one and here you see again a Notehead#1 having a Closed HH sound assigned to it.
- Click on the other crossed notehead on the same g-position (but situated more to the right hand side) and here's our Notehead#5 as a Open HH.

- I think I don't have to explain much any further: in order to have your own score playing back different drum sounds, you'll have to edit the staff type of the drums/percussion staff you use.

Okay, now go fiddle around a bit with this information and tell me if all this was of any help to you.

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

reesy

Post by reesy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:59 pm

That worked perfect. Thanks a million, I've been trying to get it to do that for ages javascript:emoticon(':D')

frunee

Post by frunee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks for this answer. Under Sibelius 6.2 I can't find
House Style > Edit Staff Types > Percussion

I guess they changed that. Could anybody tell me where to look under 6.2?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am

frunee wrote:Under Sibelius 6.2 I can't find
House Style > Edit Staff Types > Percussion
House Styles > Edit Instruments

When you get to the Edit Instrument (singular) dialog, there is an Edit Staff Type button.

frunee

Post by frunee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 am

Thanks, Sebasian.