Transposing a score

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
sus4

Post by sus4 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:29 pm

I just transposed a section of a score I'm arranging. Here's the way I did it.

1. I copied the section (4 bars, not the drums)
2. I pasted it and transposed it up a 1/2 step (augmented unison)
3. I changed the key signature

This procedure worked. Is there an easier or faster way?

sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi there,

you could have done it in 2 steps instead of 3. Here's how:

01. Copy>paste (or [Alt+click]-copy!!!) the passage (You can include the drums or non-melodic percussion staves since they will not transpose later on anyway)

02. [Ctrl+click] bar 01 of the copied passage and [Shift+click] the last bar. Now go trough the Notes Transpose procedure: notice that you can change the key signature in one go with the transposition of the notes!!!

Why is this different??
- Selecting a passage with a click (resulting in a single rectangle around then passage) only deals with the material in the bars i.e. only transposing the musical phrases. So no option to change the key signature is given.
- Selecting a passage with a [Ctrl+click] (resulting in a double rectangle around the passage) deals with the complete passage. Sibelius "interprets" this selection as a "new musical section", therefor asking you if you also want to change the key signature.

(Sorry for my lousy English, I hope you get the picture)

Hope this helps.

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Zep, first of all I don't know where you're from but, your English is perfect.
You're way is better than mine. Thanks,
The only difference is that I use a Mac instead of a PC, but I got it.

I have another question that I posted earlier and I don't think I stated it clearly and that has to do with printing out parts of a score.

I want to combine 3 separate staves, not merge them into one staff. I want the 3 staves bracketed together so when I look at the printed part I see 3 individual staves bracketed together.
I'm sure this is possible and since I'm new with Sibelius 4 I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks, sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the "linguistic compliment". I'm sure we do understand each other well enough to help out.
Anyway .....

Here's how you do the "3-part-non-disruptive-to-other-parts-print-thingie":

- Open the Parts Window by clicking on the "looks-like-multiple-sheets-stack" button in the Sibelius toolbar.
- In the Parts Window, click on the "New Part" Button (looks-like-an-empty-sheet-thing-a-ma-ding)
- In the -now opened- New Part window, add the staves that you want to include in the new part.
- Click OK
- The new part will now appear in the list of all parts in the Parts Window (You'll have to search for it but here's a hint: the parts' name is the sum-up of all included parts and will probably be situated just before the first included part)
- You can now open this part and fiddle around with Layout and House Styles to make it look the way YOU want.

TIP: if you want to change the name of this new part (like: Piano Vocal Score), doubleclick on the top-left partname on the first page of the part. Sib will ask you if you want to go to the Score Info dialogue. Click YES and the rest will be very simple.

I hope this helps.

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:21 pm

Zep, thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

sus4