Entering Cue Notes?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
sus4

Post by sus4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:08 am

Well, I've read the reference help many times on entering cues...I'm doing something wrong.
It says copy the notes, which I did. Opt-Click where I want to put them. Not working. It's also saying to press F9 which is supposed to take me into Keypad 2 where the cued notes are. F9 just splits my screen...I'm lost.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

sus4

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am

sus4 wrote:It says copy the notes, which I did.
Do you mean 'Select'? Opt-Click copies whatever is selected to wherever you click, not what you copied to the clipboard buffer.
sus4 also wrote:It's also saying to press F9 which is supposed to take me into Keypad 2 where the cued notes are.
You can get to the second virtual keypad layout with the mouse if F9 is set to do something else.

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 am

Even I can do this, so I'll try to help rather than just ask for help.

I normally copy cue notes from another staff. In Sibelius 5.1
- Select the bar or bars by clicking on a space in the bar, with Shift-click for a series
- Press Ctrl-C
- Select the place where you want the cues to go to
- From the edit menu select Copy as cue.

If you want to enter your own cue notes as Sebasian has written select Keypad 2 with the mouse. Then
- Click on the note to be made a cue note (or series of them)
- Press whatever the cue note key on the number pad is.

I hope I have understood your question and that this helps.
Regards, Alex

sus4

Post by sus4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Something is wrong.

Let me explain exactly what I want to do.

I want to copy the trumpet part and put it in the piano part as cued notes.
I don't want to erase the piano part. I want to see both of them there. The piano notes as regular notes and the trumpet part as cued notes.
So in essence I'm creating a piano part with the trumpet notes cued in.

What's happening now is when I copy the trumpet part and paste it into the piano part the piano part gets erased and all I see is the trumpet part as small cued notes.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:46 pm

sus4 wrote:when I copy the trumpet part and paste it into the piano part the piano part gets erased and all I see is the trumpet part as small cued notes.
You need to paste into Voice 2 (or at least, a voice not used in the Piano part). There are details about this in the Reference.

For a quick idea: imagine that the piano part is only Voice 1, and you want to paste the trumpet as Voice 2.
1. You may need to insert any leading rests in the target voice in the target stave. If you are going to paste whole bars, this doesn't apply. If this isn't clear, ask again for more details.
2. Change the Trumpet part to Voice 2 (select and use Edit > Voice > 2 or the shortcut Alt-2 [Opt-2 for Mac]).
3. Select just Voice 2: Edit > Filter >Voice 2 only, shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Alt-2 (or Mac equivalent).
4. While still selected, Ctrl-Click (or Mac equivalent) where you want it in the Piano part.
5. Make those notes that you just copied cue sized using the second Keypad layout (the notes should still be selected).
6. Go back to the trumpet part and change it back to Voice 1.

I'll just mention that in Sibelius 5 this is all done for you with a new command ('Paste as cue') so when you upgrade you won't need to do all this stuff.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:00 pm

Sabasian

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite understanding the steps you outlined.
I understand I need to paste the trpt part into the piano part using voice 2 of the piano. After that the steps are not clear.

1, 2, and 3 seem to work. It's when I get to 4 I don't understand. I assume you mean while the trpt part is "still selected". Then do I paste it into the piano part and choose voice 2 and go on to #5.
I think you're assuming I know more than I do.

I'm considering your last option....Sib 5

Thanks

sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:42 am

Hi there,

I think Sebasian made a little (but crucial) typo here:

4. While still selected, Ctrl-Click (or Mac equivalent) where you want it in the Piano part.
should read:
4. While still selected, Alt-Click (or Mac equivalent) where you want it in the Piano part.

So, at stage 4, you paste the (still selected as Voice 2 Only)Tpt notes into the Pno staff, using the Alt+Click method (or Mac equivalent).

Because the pasted music is still "selected" after the paste procedure, you can open the second Keypad (F9 on WinX, or + on Numeric Keyboard)
In this second keypad, hitting Enter (Numeric) will change the music from normal to Cue Size.

(Of course, as Sebasian points out, you should finish by restoring the "Voice 2 Tpt music" to Voice 1)

I think this answer, combined with Sebasian's, should help you out.

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Zapruder wrote: I think Sebasian made a little (but crucial) typo here
Zap: Thanks for pointing that out.

sus4: sorry I misled you, but I hope it now works.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:31 pm

That's it guy's.....IT WORKS.
Thanks to both of you for your all your help and your patience.
Great forum

sus4