Printed parts not saved

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 pm

I printed out all the parts of my score. I did some tweaking on each part and they look great printed out and, I thought I saved them.

1. I open my score
2, I click on Full Score at the top and choose any one of the parts
3. They look nothing like the parts I tweaked and thought I saved.
4. I open the parts windows and check the parts there....same thing.
5. I click on any one of the parts and when it opens it say's Score at the top not the actual name of the part. The full score opens.
6. I tried "Save As" and saved each part as a separate folder and when I click on it, the same thing, it's not what I saved.

So if I want to go back and print out one of the parts and have it look like the one I printed out, I have to tweak the whole thing over again.
"What am I doing wrong.

The question is how do I save parts after I tweak them and have them open with the name of the part and have them keep the tweaked look?

sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi there,

there are two possibilities:

01. Something extremely weird is going on in your computer ...
... or ...
02. You did not grasp the basic setup of score and parts in Sib4.

I think I will go for option 02 because you keep talking about "saving parts". In Sib4, there is no such thing as "saving a part": full score and parts are all "integrated" into one file.
So, maybe you could explain in some more detail exactly what YOU mean by "saving parts".

Meanwhile, here is the simple rule:
whenever you type [Ctrl+S] (or the equivalent in Mac), all changes in the Full Score and/or any part are saved into the same file. There is just no way to "lose" one or more parts.

If indeed option 01 is the reason of the strange goings on with your parts, then I apologize.
Hope to hear from you (with some more details).

Be well, Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Zep

I understand about you don't have to save parts in Sib. That's why I'm confused. I use the term "saving parts" because when I go to the part and make a few changes on lets say the trumpet part, when I come back to that part the next day the changes are gone. Shouldn't they stay?

I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with my computer, after all it's a Mac and we all know they're "prefect". (I wanted to put an Emoticon here but don't know how to do it)

Would you please explain to me how you print out your parts from your score. Please be specific.
Thanks

sus4 :wink: :wink: :wink:

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 am

Hi there,

there is also confusion on my side: even without printing, any change to the score or part(s) should be saved and should show up when reopening the file. At this point, I'm desperately trying to figure out what "mistake" would lead to changes not being saved. And frankly, right now I cannot come up with such a "faulty procedure".

About printing and saving:
- I've printed scores and parts through all possible procedures (print part that is in view, bulk printing using the Parts Window and different numbers of copies, ...)
- I've never encountered loss of created music and/or changes through any printing procedure.
- I've never encountered loss of created music and/or changes through any saving procedure.

I'm really puzzled by this problem. Probably I'm missing something extremely obvious ... but right now, I cannot imagine what it is.

Hopefully an explanation will suddenly pop up in my mind. But my guess is that someone else (Sebasian???) will come up with the (obvious and easy) solution even faster.

Sorry I can't be of any help right now.

Be well, Zap
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:39 am

Zep

Not to worry. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I'm going to keep thinking about this problem and see if there is anything I didn't mention.

Thanks

sus4

sus4

Post by sus4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:05 am

Well guys I think I resolved the problem

It simply was me. I made this whole thing complicated and I thought I understood the "not saving parts" thing. I have another notation program and that's what you have to do, "save the parts". After doing and doing and doing, it finally sunk in...Sibelius is really simple in regard to the score and parts. This is really a cool thing.
Zep, the reason you couldn't figure out what was wrong was because there was nothing wrong with your explanation....it was me.

Sorry to put you through all this. Thanks

sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:15 am

hi there,

no need to apologize. Sometimes things are so simple that it seems there MUST be something wrong. The integrated score/parts is such a thing ... .
Anyway, I'm glad your problem is solved.

Be well, Zap

sus4

Post by sus4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Well, the next issue is this.
I go to the top of Sibelius website and click on Full Score...everything's O.K.
I click on the parts trpt, trbn, alto, etc. and there are no names of the instruments on the parts. Why? The title of the song is there my name is there but no names of the instruments.

sus4

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:07 am

Hi again,

First, I think you mixed up some words:
sus4 wrote:Well, the next issue is this.
I go to the top of Sibelius website and click on Full Score...everything's O.K.

sus4
I guess you mean "toolbar" instead of "website" ... .

Anyway, your problem should be solved quite easily:

- Open the Full Score
- Go to View and make sure that "Hidden Objects" is selected (this is critical!!!)
- Are the words "Full Score" visible on the top of all pages of the full score?

- If "Full Score" is not visible at all, it means that somehow this text has been (accidentally) deleted. The corresponding text in the parts will also be deleted.
- restoring this text can be done using "Instrument name at top left" and "Header after first page". For both texts: click the first bar of the score, then create the text (even if the second text will only show up from page 2 on!!!!)
- After restoring these two texts, the right Instrument names will show up in all parts also (which is real Sibelius genius!)

- If "Full Score" is visible, but in some sort of "grey" and not in black, it means that these texts are hidden.
- Restoring these hidden texts: RightClick on the text in the menu, go to Hide or show and select Show in all. The text will now be visible in the full score and all parts (with the corresponding Instrument Names).

Hope this helps.

Be well, Zap

sus4

Post by sus4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 am

Zep

First of all your right, it's Toolbar.

O.K. Just before I saw you last post here I went to House Styles>Engraving Rules>Instruments and chose Full at Start. So now I have the instrument names in the Full Score and at the first stave of every part (indented). O.K. that's good.

Then I followed you instructions: View and selected Hidden Objects.

The words Full Score are NOT visible at the top of every page in the score.

Then I went to House Styles>Edit Text Styles>Instrument Name at Top Left and press Close and clicked on the "first bar of the score" and nothing happened. Went back and clicked on "Header after first page", clicked on the first bar, nothing happened again.

I know, I'm doing something wrong......what?

sus4

So now I'm lost.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:43 am

Well, it looks like it's me again.

I opened a New score and guess what..."Full Score" is there on both pages in Grey. So I followed your instructions and the words Full Score are now in Black lettering, first page only, the second is still Grey and all the instrument names are there. Also, I looked at some of the parts and the instrument name is in the upper left hand corner. Where I want them. Voila!

When I opened my first score in Sibelius I now remember the words Full Score were there in Grey and I selected those words and changed them to the name of the artist I'm writing this arrangement for and I started doing things just the way I wanted and of course a few thing got screwed up. Although, I must say thinks eventually worked out fine :wink: with your help of course.

This is an incredible program. I've had it for awhile and was afraid to use it thinking it was complicated. Well, it wasn't as complicated as I thought. I've been using a program call Overture. There is no comparison. So many problems with it. I'm here to stay.
And I feel more motivated to write now even if it's just for myself.
Thanks

sus4