Lead sheet in a score?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
kronan

Post by kronan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:49 am

Say I have a guitar part in a band or jazz band score, and I'd like to have MOST of the guitar part be slashes with the chord changes above the slashes (much like a lead sheet). Is there a way to do this with out having to delete the rests in each and every measure, and replace them manually with the slash symbol?

By 'slash' symbol I mean / / / / kind of thing. As of now, I've just been deleting the quarter rests in the measure and putting / / / /. This works...but it's messy and when I extract the part, it looks like hell and would take forever to adjust every single slash so it looks like a lead sheet with changes would.

Thank you for ANY help!!

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 am

kronan wrote:I've just been deleting the quarter rests . . .
I don't know why you are deleting anything; deleting sounds like a waste of time. I hope I haven't misunderstood what you're trying to do.

If I have understood it correctly, this is what I would do:

1. Input one bar of quarters on B (middle line)
2. Select the whole measure (click on a blank bit)
3. In the Notes pane of the Properties Window, use the drop-down list to choose Notehead 3 (usually) which is a slash with no stem.
4. While the measure is still selected, press R to repeat this bar as often as you need, or copy it to other placed where you need the slashes.

kronan

Post by kronan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 am

Thank you!!! yes, it was a HUGE waste of time, and my fault for not asking sooner.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

davidecullen

Post by davidecullen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi,

The above mentioned method is how I have been creating my lead sheets, but there are a couple of problems that I wonder if anyone has an answer
too.
Using this method, the slashes are actually still notes, so if you transpose
the piece, they move up or down on the stave and so if you want them
central you have to select them all and move them back. It's even worse
if you want to copy and paste from treble clef to bass clef, as now the slashes are way up above the stave mixed with the chord symbols.
Is there a way of selecting all notes for a part? Currently I have to go
through the entire part selecting as many notes as I can at a time, moving
them and then going on to the next notes.
Trying to select a note that is on top of a chord name, often means painfully zoom right in until you can grab a piece of it without getting the chord!
Are there any better note selection methods?

Dave

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm

davidecullen wrote: the slashes are actually still notes, so if you transpose the piece, they move up or down on the stave
They don't for me. Perhaps it's a change in the latest versions, but if you got to House Styles > Edit Noteheads and Edit the slash styles you can un-tick "transpose".

(This will apply only to the score you're working on, so you you might need to use House Styles > Export House Style and then import that style into other scores where you need non-transposing slashes.)