Beginner Using Sibelius to Help Singers Learn Notes

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
hkellogg

Post by hkellogg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Trying to use Sibelius for the first time to create some help with notes for singers. Scanned score with PhotoScore which worked reasonably well. But now in Sibelius I have some questions:
1. The first system has only two staves; after that they all have 4. How do I get the two staves in the first system to continue onto staves 3 and 4 of the second system? (default, naturally enough, is that staves 1&2 of first system continue on staves 1&2 of second system)
2. Staves 1&2 on the first system and 3&4 thereafter are right and left hands of piano; but they are listed in Sibelius (when I do "Create | Instruments...") as "[Unnamed...]". Is there an easy way to change that (after the scan), and also get the two staves marked as one instrument, as is typical in a piano score?
3. Stave 1 (on the second and subsequent systems) has all of the female vocal parts. I am looking for an easy way to divide this into up to four separate staves for S1,S2,A1,A2. I'm not hopeful that Photoscore figured out all the voices. I'm thinking that the best I can hope for is some easy method to make 3 copies of the stave, and then I can remove the unwanted notes from each manually. It looks like I can create empty ones, and then cut and paste. But I thought there might be an easier method ("duplicate stave"?). Or if there is some magic that can figure out and actually separate the voices on separate staves, that would be even better.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

hkellogg

Post by hkellogg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 am

Am most concerned about question 3 above, if anyone has a tip. Meanwhile, I am trying to just do cut and paste, and then cleanup.
But I find I have the following problem.

I used "Create | Instruments ..." to add 3 staves to my score (previously input with PhotoScore). But now the systems overlap one another. That is, Sibelius didn't re-lay out the score; it just expanded each system until it now partly lies on top of the next system. I tried a couple of the commands under layout; but none seemed to help, and "Optimize Staff Spacing" made it a little worse. What am I missing here?
Thanks for your help.