first/second/third time ending problems

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
jaydj

Post by jaydj » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:57 am

How come sometimes I can get the first time endings lines to work and sometimes it completely ignores it? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:45 pm

What do you mean with "getting them to work"??? Are you talking graphics or playback here?

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:45 pm

Zapruder wrote:What do you mean with "getting them to work"??? Are you talking graphics or playback here?

Zap
I'm sorry, I meant playback. It usually happens when I try to insert 3rd ending and above - sometimes sibelius sees it and sometimes it doesn't and I know I'm doing something wrong. Please help.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:48 pm

The only thing I can say is: check the Properties Window and make sure all the numbers of repeats are checked in the checkboxes. Sibelius needs these checked in order to know which repeat or bar or dynamic or whatever to play at which pass of that bar.

I'm sorry I can't help you on this topic. Being a composer/arranger, I really don't care about playback that much. For me it's just a good tool to check if there are errors in my score. All the rest (playback of repeats, dynamics and other goodies) is irrelevant to me.

Sorry again,

Zap
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.

jaydj

Post by jaydj » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 am

Actually that did it for me! Another thing I found out I was doing wrong was not adding an end cap which caused sibelius to ignore the other repeat lines. I guess that blue book does work! hahaha! =P Thanks again!

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 am

You are right. The Blue Book does work. all the answers to questions posted here are to be found in it. But some people have not taken the time to read it completely. Having read the complete Manual, I don't know everuthing about Sibelius, but I developped a way of thinking that helps me to find an answer to my questions very fast.
I would suggest to all readers:
- read the complete manual
- don't expect to remember everything you read
- try to discover the big issues/topics
- when stumbling onto a problem, think about the logical setup of the Manual and try to deduce which topic could have the answer. Most likely you'll find the answer within 5 minutes

Zap