Distance between systems - how to avoid 1/3 blank page?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
musicnerd

Post by musicnerd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

My score is a bit irregular, sometimes the Violin I splits into 2, and the same can happen for all the other instruments so the size of my systems isn't always the same (that is not a problem).

Sometimes I manage to fit 3 systems per page and when I can only have 2 systems per page, there is usually this huge gap in the middle of the page. Is there an automatic way to make this look nicer without having to manually adjust every page where this happens?

I put a JPEG with my score and my Engraving Rules just in case.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (242.17 KiB) Viewed 5111 times
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 5111 times
Finale 2010 / Windows XP

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Try this tutorial on layout and formatting:

http://www.sibeliusblog.com/tutorials/t ... ibelius-5/

musicnerd

Post by musicnerd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 am

I had already watched the video, but the score used as an example had only 4 staves and doesn't have much on it. Also the suggestion given to "reduce the white space" between the pages is to decrease the staff size of the document (which I have done down to 5.7 and that's what my JPEG shows too) but now I am at the stage where:

1. The score is already very small
2. 3 systems fit perfectly in a page
3. 2 systems with 7 staves each look good on a page
4. Every other random combination (2 systems with 5, 2 systems with 5 + 6), just leave this huge gap in the middle.

Since every page has a different combination of systems, how to solve this space automatically without affecting every page (since some are just fine)?
Finale 2010 / Windows XP

musicnerd

Post by musicnerd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Another situation that Sibelius doesn't seem to handle correctly. So far, the only way I see how to fix that huge gap is to manually each individual space (moving those from the top system down, and those from the bottom system up), in order to decrease the middle space. Is that really the only way to solve this situation?
Attachments
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg (245.35 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Finale 2010 / Windows XP