Add Instrument Mid-Way Through

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
itsallkosher

Post by itsallkosher » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:28 pm

I've been using Sibelius 6 for a while, but have never figured this out. I have a song that I wrote in Sibelius, and the first two bars are just piano--no voice. But I don't want 2 measures of rest to show. For example:

https://www.musicnotes.com/images/produ ... 072246.gif

Notice that there isn't a "voice" instrument until the third bar. I have other songs, too, where a second voice doesn't come in until half way through the song and it's very unappealing to the eye to see 30 measures of rest for an instrument. Is there any way around this?

Also, when I stretch out the first two measures to cover the entire width of the page (assuming my second instrument wouldn't show until the second system), the notes still stay all scrunched up and don't space out. Is there any way to space them out? [see the picture] I can't seem to accomplish either of these things so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Thanks!
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (104.97 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm

itsallkosher wrote:. . . I don't want 2 measures of rest to show
Select the vocal line for the first system (double click) and use:

Format > Hide Empty Staves
itsallkosher also wrote:. . . the notes still stay all scrunched up and don't space out.
If you drag the bar-lines you won't get the effect you want. Reset spacing for the first system:

Edit > Reset Note Spacing

then

Click on the barline at the end of the second bar
Press Return to insert a System Break .

itsallkosher

Post by itsallkosher » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Wonderful, thank you so much! :D

pianomanslc

Post by pianomanslc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Hey, I'm another brand new user and I was logging on to ask the EXACT same two questions! Thanks from me too! :D