XML import and some questions

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
B

Post by B » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm pretty new. Please bear with me :)

I tried importing an XML file, made in Finale PrintMusic, into Sibelius. The first few pages kinda got mashed up. How is that possible and what can I do about it? Perhaps it's better to convert manually, but then what's the point in XML? I desire a quick conversion and continue working on the composition.

Another question I have is this: in Finale, all those texts for dynamics and tempo changes and such are played back. And there's also this human playback thing. Is this also the case in Sibelius (even if you imported an XML file)?

What about EW/QL? How easy is it to set up the whole thing for Sibelius? I don't like focusing on all those technical geek issues. I just gotta write music.

Thanks.

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:43 pm

B wrote:. . . The first few pages kinda got mashed up. . .
It is possible that the page-breaks from Finale are interfering with the layout.

One thing you can try is Layout > Format > Unlock Format, and that would allow Sibelius to flow the music in its own way.

B

Post by B » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks, Sebasian. It makes it look much better.

There's still a problem. In Finale, the music is played back with a certain kind of expression that I'm missing in Sibelius. Now there's only one straight tempo and no difference in dynamics. It sound horrible.

NeutronGirl

Post by NeutronGirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Are you using Dolet to export your XML file from Finale? Here's a forum post over in Finale world about a similar issue.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=302490

Dolet 5 for Finale can be found here: http://www.recordare.com/finale/index.html

There's also a Sibelius version if you want to go back the other way. I haven't used it so can't provide much more help than that. Might fix those issues though.

Amy

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 am

As for EWQL, Jonathan Loving has many soundsets available that should let you integrate them with Sibelius playback. I'm not sure if he posts here, but Jonathan is a regular on the official Sibelius forum. Have a look at some of the discussion there and you should find the answers there.

Siblelius can playback in the same 'human' was as Finale, but it may well be the conversion from XML has affected this. Check out the Live Playback settings, and have a read in the Reference for full details (page 298)

Nicole34

Post by Nicole34 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:43 am

Thanks for the information here,.
It helps me alot.
Cheers guys....
make money online

B

Post by B » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I'm a bit late in responding -- sorry for that -- because I've been away for some time.

Amy:
I didn't use Dolet but Finale's own export. It would seem that Dolet is probably much better at exporting, but it's another 200 bucks! Arrrgh!

Andy:
Yeah, I gotta check that out.

MusicTranscriber:
I don't know. I find the "human playback" of Finale actually pretty good. It's not so bad. And during the audio/mixing part I can still kind of create expressions. Furthermore, another thing to buy? Arrrgh! :P