How do I create a chord with multiple note duration?

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
One-winged Angel

Post by One-winged Angel » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:35 am

How do I create a chord with multiple note duration? For example, a chord of a G minim and two B crotchets? Sibelius always splits up the minim into two tied crotchets? How can this be prevented as it sometimes makes the scores look messy? :cry:

johnwesleybarker

Post by johnwesleybarker » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:05 pm

Use two voices. The mimim in one voice, the crotchets in the other. Will produce taile up and tails down as per voice.

One-winged Angel

Post by One-winged Angel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:14 am

So it can't all be entered all in one staff? I was just wondering because they did it in one of their example scores (the file is called "piano study" page 7, it should be in the folder called "other"). I'm using Sibelius 2. Is there really no way to enter a chord with multiple note durations? :(

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:25 pm

You have to pay attention to what the man said. "USE TWO VOICES" in one staff. You can use up to four voices in a single staff.

What you see in the chopin study example you mentioned is not a multiple not duration chord as you call it but but a poliphonic line of three voices. If you click on the notes you will see that they are all coloured differently, meaning they each belong to a different voice.

In order to do something out of the ordinary in sibelus you need to find out of the ordinary ways to do it. That is the beauty of Sibelius.

All the best and A Happy New Year to All.