Adding Instruments

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Barry Sugden

Post by Barry Sugden » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:00 pm

If I start a score using single woodwind and half way through decide to add say another clarinet, I want the score now to show Clarinet 1 and Clarinet 2, but if I edit the stave this doesn’t seem to happen.

Also when I extract the parts showing two clarinet staves I can’t find out how to label the staves correctly and title the page accordingly. Why is this simple task so elusive.

Can anyone help.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:15 pm

If you click on the instrument name you should be able to change the label name. Are you adding instrument or just changing the sound. To add instruments go to Create, Instruments.

DianaDiazSing
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by DianaDiazSing » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:12 am

What if I want to add a 4 measure line for just one little part of my score - like a piano intro where I can't seem to change the part.

It's got line 1 - voice. But really it should be line 2 - piano 1.
It's got line 2 - piano. But really it should be line 3 - piano 2.
When the voice comes it, it should be line 1.

In my ideal fantasy world, after I add just 4 measure, then I would be able to reassign what line it is. But I can't turn my fantasies into a reality...

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:32 am

Because you aren't following my instructions!

If you are using PS, you have to correctly assign the staves there BEFORE you move to sibelius.

If starting from scratch, a sibelius score has to have staves for all the instruments you intend to use, no matter where they start in the piece unless those instruments are mormally 'doubling' ones (like Fl3 nd Picc). Then you use instrument changes to change the sound for playback and the transposiion.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm

:oops: not sure how to in Photoscore. But I do see your point. I can see the need for making leadsheets from popular songs that aren't in the fakebooks, so that's why I'm a little stuck on this idea. Sometimes writing the intro into the leadsheet helps the pianist set the mood.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Diana,

if you send me the score I'll do it for you. I've been trying to avoid doing this because you won't learn how to do it for yourself, but if you're stuck I'm happy to oblige.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

DianaDiazSing

Post by DianaDiazSing » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:27 am

I do want to learn how to do it myself. I've been working on making about 6 leadsheets and was ill when I first started. I love working against great odds. :mrgreen: My priority was actually getting something that was mostly workable for my rehearsal. The accompanist was impressed that I had done so much in a week when most people take a university class to learn how to make leadsheets. I had the great misfortune of never having a music program at my university that had any sort of jazz for vocalists or any revision of any sheet music.