Complex advice for new user please

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I am a new user of Sibelius 7 , I thought I would give it a go after years of being curioys. I am using the trial version on my laptop at present but plan to install it in my studio

Over the years my studio has become pretty decent presently its specs are as follows;

PC Core i7 quad 920, 12 gig. Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Cubase 6 64 bit and the following 64 bit plugins

Spectrasonics Omni, Trillian, RMX, Absynth 4, East West Orch, choirs, Halion, Kontakt and Halion Symphonic Orchestra SE (VST3) and other VST's ; gear etc.

I would appreciate advise about how to use Sibelius with my system from more experienced users. I am aware there is something called rewire, I have never used this, but know its like a virtual patch bay between apps.
I will be creating film music so want to work cheifly in my sequencer

I was suprised to find a video about EWQLS Orchestra which talked of using 2 tracks wirth one MIDI channel to control keyswitching. It looked very fiddly and made no use of VST3 expression or note expression.

What is the best approach please? Do you work in Sibelius first then export MIDI, or how?

If you can advice me on working methods or set up in any way I would appreciate it.

Zero

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 pm

You have some pretty serious kit there!

Assuming that you're just as serious about the quality of your music (and I don't just mean the quality of the VSTi's) then I would suggest that you score in Sibelius, print out all the parts and then play them all live into Cubase. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats live playing. not even very skillful use of Cubase's randomisation features gets close.

If you have rhythm tracks etc that you want uber-tight, then just export to MIDI, import into Cubase and get editing from there.

As with all things, the quality of what you produce is directly related to the amount of skill, time and effort involved.