Seperating or Extracting Parts

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
David40

Post by David40 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:04 pm

I’m not exactly sure how to ask my question so I will use an example. Lets say I play a series of four note chords representing the four parts of a vocal harmony and I record this as MIDI which appears as four note chords on a staff. I want to be able to separate the parts so that I can pass out the individual parts so that the soprano’s get the only their part, the alto’s theirs, etc. Is there any way to extract or separate the parts without having to record a separate MIDI track for each part individually? I don’t know if this is even possible because the software would have to be able to identify the top note in each chord, the second from the top, and so forth, and then place those on a new staff. Would sure save a lot of work if there is some way to do this.
Thanks, David40
:?:

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:11 pm

This is quite easy to achieve. By using the Arrange option, you can explode chords into separate staves. In your case, here is how you could start out:

- Make sure you have all the staves created into the score. In you case for example: Piano (in which you can create or import all chords) / Soprano / Alto / Tenor / Bass (or Baritone)

- Create or import all chords into the piano staff. To keep things simple, do not use any other voices than Voice 1.
- Select the passage which you want to explode (= select bar 01, then Shift+click the last bar of the passage). The passage now has a single blue rectangle.
- Type Ctrl+C (copy)
- Select the first bar of the Soprano staff, then do Shift+click in the bass staff (you now have the first bar selected in all vocal staves). Keep these staves selected!
- Go to Notes > Arrange (or type: Ctrl+Shift+V)
- Select Explode and click OK
- Now, the music should be exploded into the different vocal staves.

This is the simplest method for the most simple chords. More complex music with different voices (1 - 4) demands other ways of "Arranging". In any case, you might have to do some editing in each vocal staff but it sure beats recording all vocal parts separately.

Let me know if all this makes any sense to you.

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

David40

Post by David40 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:16 am

Thanks so much, I will give that a try.
David :D