Sibelius 7 Guitar TAB Problem.

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Vercingetorix

Post by Vercingetorix » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:19 am

Hello All,

I am very new to Sibelius having only got it in only the past week, a trial version. I got it for a specific purpose to create guitar tab for my beginner students and for another product I have mind.

Now the problem is this I want to create beginner lessons using only TAB, that is no standard notation at all. But I noticed that in doing just that that the stems (or flag) or whatever the technical term is, is that they are exactly the same for minim's and crotchets and it's just confusing to the couple of students I've tried it with, and it caught me out as well. I can accept that there is no stem, or whatever, used at all for semibreve's and quavers and semiquavers display fine. But the lack of differentiations between crotchets and minims is not good at all, so how do I change this in Sibelius 7 to make it look more obvious?

Help help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
V.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm not sure that Sibelius will do what you want. I know that there are many different types of guitar tab formats. Some show rhythms and some so not. I think it is neat that Sibelius will create tab from notation at all. I teach my students to read notation, but that's just me. I do give them music that has both on them so that they can get ideas on fingering. But I don't always agree with tab I come across. I have short fingers, so many fingerings don't work for me.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 pm

There is a plugin that may be of use to you, called Circle TAB Half and Whole Notes, available from the Sibelius download page: http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugin ... ategory=25

You need to copy the .lib file to the House Style folder, as well the .plg file to the Plugins folder.

As its name implies, it places circles (or ellipses) around whole and half notes in Sibelius guitar TAB. Personally I prefer the standard tied crotchet approach to longer notes, but this may be worth a try.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

Vercingetorix

Post by Vercingetorix » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:07 am

bobp wrote:I'm not sure that Sibelius will do what you want. I know that there are many different types of guitar tab formats. Some show rhythms and some so not. I think it is neat that Sibelius will create tab from notation at all. I teach my students to read notation, but that's just me. I do give them music that has both on them so that they can get ideas on fingering. But I don't always agree with tab I come across. I have short fingers, so many fingerings don't work for me.
It is only the beginner beginners that I start with only TAB. I want to get them playing guitar as soon as possible without overwhelming with standard notation. It gets them enjoying music quickly and more likely to to get more lessons without getting discouraged - and that in turn helps me out :P.

After that I introduce standard notation to them slowly.

Regards,
V.

Vercingetorix

Post by Vercingetorix » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 am

KJ_Palmer wrote:There is a plugin that may be of use to you, called Circle TAB Half and Whole Notes, available from the Sibelius download page: http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugin ... ategory=25

You need to copy the .lib file to the House Style folder, as well the .plg file to the Plugins folder.

As its name implies, it places circles (or ellipses) around whole and half notes in Sibelius guitar TAB. Personally I prefer the standard tied crotchet approach to longer notes, but this may be worth a try.
Thanks greatly for that :D . I'll get right on it.

And using ties is also a really good compromise solution - thanks for the tip :).

Cheers,
V.

alto
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by alto » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:23 pm

@Vercingetorix

I realise this is an old post but having encountered the same problem I thought I would post my work around in case it is useful.

I prefer to have crotchets with a full stem and minims with a half stem which is inline with other guitar Tab software. To do this I select all the minims in the piece and then open the inspector. (shift apple i). In the inspector you can change the y axis to -1 and this will shorten the stem length of the notes you have selected.

Not quite as quick as the plugins mentioned above but it gives me what I was after. Happy tabbing...