Converting notes into triplets and MIDI latency.

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:55 am

Hi, so I read the Sibelius tutorials but I still have some doubts.
I'm using Sibelius 7.5 / PC with 4gb RAM.

>I'm using a MIDI keyboard but the latency is still clearly high, I even unchecked the "Use low latency MIDI input" (or something like that, my Sibelius version is in Spanish) in the Preference menu; but still, no change.

>I can input triplets by pressing the note's value, then CTRL + 3, and then writing down the notes. However, I can't convert regular eights into triplets.

Some other questions:
>What's faster for inputting notes, the computer keyboard, a midi keyboard or guitar or from the panels? According to the manual, the fastest way is the MIDI keyboard, although I know some people who prefer the computer one.
>Sibelius 7 needs 4gb of RAM to run, however I installed it on a PC with 2gb of RAM and it doesn't crashes or anything. I recently got a netbook with 1gb RAM (from my country's government), do you think it will get stuck often?
>Is it possible to NEVER use the mouse and ONLY use the keyboard shortcuts with Sibelius 7.5?
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:10 pm

1) I suspect this is audio latency, not MIDI latency. Use an ASIO capable soundcard or install ASIO4ALL
2) no, you cannot convert them. You have to input them
3) I always use computer keyboard only, once you learn how, it can be faster. Depends on the user!
4) yes, I think 1GB is ridiculously low RAM for anything, increase to 2 or 4
5) no, you'll need the mouse at some point

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Some things to think about.

The computer you use depends on what you use Sibelius for. Even with education discounts, Sibelius is expensive. The sound library is some 35 GBs. If you are going to produce piano music, GM sounds are pretty good and all you need is Sibelius and not the sounds. I don't know if that will run on a netbook or not.
However if you are interested in playback of large orchestra scores, you will need a dual core (quad core is better) computer with a minimum of 8 GBs of ram (16 is better). And an SSD.
I don't play keyboard, so I enter music from the mouse. Maybe not the fastest but still faster than pen and paper. I use Sibelius to compose music. Ease and speed are not important to me. Many people use Sibelius as professional software to set up music for publishers. For them, ease and speed are paramount.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for the responses, I currently use Sibelius on the 4gb ram PC not the 1gb RAM one, those are the "free" netbooks the government of my country gives to students.
Is there any music notation software that I can install on that netbook? Other than GuitarPro or PowerTab.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:27 am

MuseScore might work.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am

Okay, thanks, I've been thinking in trying to install Sibelius First or 6 in the one with 1gb RAM; I don't know which has less requirements.

greentom

Post by greentom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 am

Ok, thank you, I've been thinking in trying to install Sibelius First.