First and second endings

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
Patrickjb

Post by Patrickjb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:19 pm

I am running Sibelius 7 on Windows 8.
When I select either 'First ending' or 'Second ending' from the 'Lines' menu all the bar (measure) numbers disappear from the music following the repeat bar line; and Playback also stops at the repeat line.
I have read the user manual carefully and I am sure I am doing this correctly. Any ideas?

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Is this Sibelius 7.1.3 on W8? Or Sibelius 7.5.1 on W8? And I hope you mean 8.1
What I mean is, is your version fully updated. There is a font problem with W 8 .1 That is DPI scaling needs to be set below 175%. After that everything should work.
1st and 2nd endings work on my 8.1 system.
Select the 1st ending symbol in your score and open the Inspector. Only the first Play on Pass box should be checked.
Select the 2nd ending symbol and only the second Play on Pass box should be checked in the Inspector.
If not, check the correct boxes and see what happens.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

tazammal

Post by tazammal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 am

I am running Sibelius 7 on Windows 8.
When I select either 'First ending' or 'Second ending' from the 'Lines' menu all the bar (measure) numbers disappear from the music following the repeat bar line; and Playback also stops at the repeat line.
I have read the user manual carefully and I am sure I am doing this correctly. Any ideas? :arrow:

Patrickjb

Post by Patrickjb » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your reply - apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I have the latest versions of both W8.1 and Sibelius (both updated online recently). I have tried everything you suggested (dpi was set to 100% anyway), but it makes no difference. As soon as I select any kind of 2nd (or 3rd) time bar from 'lines', all the bar numbers, from the 'end repeat' bar line disappear. Help!

Patrick

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Patrick,

I've only used repeats once in 7.5.1 and W8.1, and I had a little trouble. Every thing seemed to work fine. The next time I loaded the piece to work on it, repeats did not work.
No idea what happened. I had to delete all repeats and start over adding them and checking as I went. They've been working fine ever since. You might start a new single staff piece with a few notes in it to practice adding repeats. If it works, there may be some other problem with your original piece.
If you still have trouble, please post step by step what you are doing.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Patrickjb

Post by Patrickjb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am

Bob,

I had created a simple test score, which didn't work any better, so I tried it again from scratch. When I click on the 'end repeat' barline, go to 'lines' and create the 2nd ending, all the subsequent barlines disappear. This never happened in Sib 3.

I discovered by accident that if I highlight the whole bar after the 'end repeat' barline and then create the 2nd ending, it works. The Sibelius manual does not mention this.

Anyway - thanks for all your help and Happy New Year,

Patrick

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:54 pm

I can't speak for 7.5 but in the V6 reference manual it tells you to create such lines by selecting the passage you wish them to cover, not the barlines. It's not in the 'repeats' section, though. It's in the section about creating lines in general.

Selecting the bar(s) has always been the way I've created 1st and 2nd endings, at least as far as I can recall. I've never lost any barlines. Mind you, a little tweaking to the start and end points has sometimes been needed.