9/8 and 3/4 at the same time.

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:27 am

Hi, I'm trying to make a score with an instrument in 9/8 and another one on 3/4, I think it's called "polyrhythmics" in english.
Any ideas of how to do it?
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Sorry to quote the manual, but this almost seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Occasionally scores have two simultaneous time signatures with the same bar-length, such as 2/4
against 6/8. To input this sort of case:
* Create a 2/4 time signature and input the 2/4 music as normal
* Input the 6/8 music as triplet eighths (quavers), but use the Note Input > Triplet > Other dialog
at least for the first tuplet, switching on None and switching off Bracket, so it won’t show that
they’re triplets
* You can copy the first 6/8 bar as a quick way to get the triplet rhythm for subsequent bars
* When all of the music has been inputted, delete the 2/4 time signature and drag the first note
rightwards until there’s enough space for a replacement time signature
* Type the 2/4 and 6/8 using text – start with nothing selected and use Time signatures (one
staff only), which you can create from the Text > Styles > Style menu, in the Time signatures
(special) category
* Click where you want to put the time signature to type it in as text, with a Return (on the main
keyboard) after the top number.
In cases where two or more time signatures with different bar lengths are required, such as 4/4 and 5/4:
* Calculate the lowest common multiple between the two time signatures – in this case, 20/4 –
and create that as the time signature
* When all of the music has been inputted, delete the 20/4 time signature and drag the first note
rightwards until there’s enough space for a replacement time signature
* Type the 4/4 and 5/4 using text – to do this you’ll need to create a new text style (see above)
* Add the extra barlines using the vertical line from the Notations > Lines > Line gallery.
This method has the advantage of ensuring that systems end at coinciding barlines.
If simultaneous time signatures always have barlines in different places, adopt the same procedure,
but remove the barlines in one staff (see Hiding barlines on some staves only in
b 4.5 Barlines), then use the vertical line Notations > Lines > Line to draw in suitable barlines
where you want them.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop