Finding the best soft synth

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi there. This is my first post on the forums. I've been using Sibelius 4 for many years, but at a pretty basic level, and I need some help!

I am trying to write my first film score. I might have access to a few musicians to record the parts for me in a studio, but I expect the majority of it will be done by my computer. I need to find a better soft synth for instrument samples. Right now I'm using Garritan Personal Orchestra (sorry, I'm unsure of the version), but most of the wind instruments sound terribly cheesy. Is there a better package out there for more realistic sounding instruments?

I'm willing to upgrade my computer and my edition of Sibelius, but only if I can find a soft synth package that sounds better than your average Casio keyboard. Can anyone help me out?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am

If you're serious enough about your music to try to write a film score that will be recorded and then used in a film, then you'll need to be serious about what you're using! Be ready to spend out some money and invest in quite a bit of time.

Upgrade to a newer version of Sibelius - the difference is massive and I don't think v4 can handle virtual instruments that well. (long time since I used it!)
Look at East West and Vienna software instruments - they're superb.
Now, be ready to upgrade - seriously upgrade - your hardware.

Then, if you really care about realistic playback, I'd recommend that you invest in a DAW like Cubase or Logic. They're designed to do this sort of thing. Newer versions of Sibelius, though good at playback and able to use the same virtual instruments, will never be able to compete fully. Even using 'budget' software instruments like the various Garritan products and Miroslav Orchestra, I can get very convincing tone colours in all sections of the orchestra when using Cubase. It's not so much what you've got, but what you do with it!

Also, be prepared to play at least the main sections of your piece live into your DAW, it always sounds better than even the best 'humanised' playback from software.

If you've only used Sibelius at a 'basic level', be prepared for the learning curve you'll have to follow, and that goes for your chosen DAW too.