Jazz Chord Help- 1st Day user..

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
logandrum

Post by logandrum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:47 am

Greetings, I literally purchased Sibelius today and I just taught myself some basic functions to get myself familiar with the program..

*I had to make the switch because I couldn't bang my head against the wall with that other famous program any longer :lol:

So, I primarily have to make jazz lead sheets, sometimes just treble clef staves with chords and melody, and I often have to notate full piano treble/bass clef piano staves..

I can see that the note entry is very easy as well as format, spacing etc.. which I am happy about.. But I would like some direction with entering Jazz chord symbols... The person who hires me want's specific chord notation like, Bb(13,b9) for example..

When I tried entered chord symbols quickly Sibelius made some that were black and some that were red in color.. Red meaning Sibelius is not aware of that chord symbol type?

With the other program it was hell trying to get these chord symbols right..

Are they any tips on the issues I will face when I start my next project as far as Jazz chords are concerned?

I know there is something called a legacy plugin, but I need to familiarize myself with that and plugins in general..

I am hoping to have a much easier time with Sibelius

Thanks so much for any tips!

New User :)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am

No need for a plug-in. Just use Legacy Chords. All neatly and clearly explained in the manual. Cant't tell you the page as I don't have Sib 7 on this PC and only have the printed v6 manual next to me, sorry!

You should be able to input the chords in the way your 'hirer' wants - or you could just educate them in the way that it should be done! :D

Do remember that this is not the official Sibelius forum. There are only two of us left answering questions. I can't put a link to the official forum in here but a quick Google will find it. You'll get lightning fast responses there and the crowd are (mostly!) very friendly.

Have fun with Sibelius.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Red may also mean that the chord you typed is too close to the one before it. Nudge it over. There are also various settings in Magnetic Layout that might help.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

logandrum

Post by logandrum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Great guys! Thanks!

I will hunt for the official sib forum!

Have a great one :)

qroonqroon

Post by qroonqroon » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:42 am

Do you want to know what are the preferential goods this month?Paradise for game enthusiasts, hurriedly click here: FUT 15 Coinsor RS Gold