How to delete empty bars

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
pnedic

Post by pnedic » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm

hello,

I'm totaly new in Sibelius. I use version 6. Well I faced a problem (for me :)) that I'm not able to delete unused bars (measures).

When I started for the first time to use record music from my el. piano, I did not start at the beginning of score, but from, lets say, 8th bar. Then I've got first 7 bars with just (whole) rests. So when I wanted to delete those bars - I couldn't do that. When I mark (by mouse) a bars (or all 7 empty bars) and press delte button, nothing happens.
I use Sibelius on Windows XP pc.

Sorry if this looks funny question to some people !

Thanks Peter !

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 pm

I haven't used 6 in a long time, so I don't remember exactly. But use the pull down menus to look for a delete bars listing. What happens if you select the measures and right click instead.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Ctrl-click the first of the bars you want to delete, Shift click the last. The selection will turn purple and you can then press Delete to get rid of them.

Be aware that deleting the first bar may well also delete things like the title, tempo markings etc, but these are easily reinserted.

pnedic

Post by pnedic » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:56 am

Yes, I've found it exactly as you people said. The bars must be squared in purple. Also I realized that deleting first bar also deletes title, tempo marking etc. But I dragged the tempo marking to the bar that will be first after deleting desired bars and everything is OK.

Thanks people for help !