Need help with paging

Sibelius beginners can discuss all things Sibelius here ("how do I...?").
TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:30 pm

I've selected the bar line where the page should break and clicked the "Page Break" button, and the icon shows... but the page isn't breaking:

What am I doing wrong?

I have two staves for the main part, and four for the chorus. There's simply no way to fit everything on one page, the way I did with the original, handwritten score. Originally, the main part was 4 measures per line, and the chorus eight. However, in Sibelius, it's just too crowded. There's a LOT of words, and they just kept running into each other.

So, I decided to change the chorus to 4 measures per line, and that spread everything out better; however, I can't fit the staves on the page vertically; once again, it's too crowded (the main part has 5 verses). So, two pages are needed, with the main part on page one and the chorus on page two.

Can anyone help with this??

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:49 pm

Is there any music (or empty bars) after that page break, assuming you have a 2 stave system at that point? I tinkered with a score of mine a little and seems that Sibelius needs something after a page break to create a new page.

Perhaps you need the break on the previous line (the double bar line)...?

Just guessing as I can't really tell what's going on in the rest of your score from that snapshot.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

TheWebExpert

Post by TheWebExpert » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:34 pm

a). I hadn't set the double barline yet;
b). I haven't entered any notes in the section after this,

I'll enter the notes and make the change; if I still have trouble, I'll post back.

I still need to find out how to "balance" the staffs on the page (2 on page 1, 4 on page 2), so they're spread evenly.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 am

Golden Rule - never to be broken (well - hardly ever!)

Get ALL the notes, dynamics, articulations, text etc - basically everything - and only then think about the format and layout.

There are some great blogs and videos available that deal with all aspects of formatting and layout. This site won't let me insert links but a Google search fill find them.

alexdelara
Sibelius Version: 2020.12
Operating System: Mac

Post by alexdelara » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:49 pm

gee thanks... this splains why I am fumbling and fuming for the past hour :? trying to make a page look nice to see how it will look... you know... a general sense of distribution on the paper...

but ok, back to my other troubles then (modifying the pickup measure)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:18 pm

If you must have x bars on a page, try making the staff size smaller - use the inspector, in the bars panel.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk